Do you want to help a UK Net Neutrality Action Group
ickle project time?
This forum is awesome.

Grim... wrote:
Domains and web hosting can be provided (free, obv) by me, if you want. I don't have to pay for .co.uk domains.

:luv: :luv: :luv: That would be beyond fucking awesome Grim...!

Zardoz wrote:
Count me in if you want any graphics doing Lave.

:luv:

richardgaywood wrote:
I am willing to help. I can write, I can code (particularly Java but most stuff really).

"Network neutrality" is a crap name for nerds. It doesn't convey any information to non-nerds. We need a better slogan. I really like your ISP graphic on the first page though -- more of this please.

:luv: and agree. All my brain storming so far has managed though is eQuality, e-quality, eQuality. to try and link "electronic mail" to "electronic equality" which is what this is really about. Hmmm...

Plissken wrote:
I'll do a bit of writing and stuff. FAQ, maybe?

:luv:

Squirt wrote:
I'm more than happy to provide PERL-y DB goodness.

Also, I am literally four desks down from the Open Rights Group. I'm sure I'll be able to get some linkage / help / free stickers / covering fire for when we storm the Home Office / advice from them.

I'm sure PERL would be useful - though I don't know what for yet. Knowing the ORG though - thats awesomely useful.

I've just sketched out a basic idea for the first steps and I'll concoct it into a post when I get a chance. Basically though first I think it's best to start out with a static page which in under 6mins can 1) explain to people what the issue is 2) convince them we are right 3) get them to write to their mp and sign the petition. And then work out how to spread it.

I think I can knock up what I think the page should look like then we can go from there, I've already got a rough outline in my notebook.

But we do need a URL name and maybe a gimmick - and all I have is something along the lines of UK eQuality.

Anyone got any ideas?
eQuality. Oh, I like that.
Plissken wrote:
eQuality. Oh, I like that.

:this:
Grim... wrote:
Domains and web hosting can be provided (free, obv) by me, if you want. I don't have to pay for .co.uk domains.

Really?

Does this mean I could possibly ask the huge favour of maybe getting savygamer.co.uk?

I have always said I don't want to have any overheads, as I think that the huge benefit of the internet, and the strength of SavyGamer is that I have no overheads, and I will never have to make compromises to stay in the black, so I would never pay for a fancy domain. But if I could possibly get one for free that would be kickass.
Lave,

I'm strongly pro-neutrality. For me, the nightmare scenario is not the one highlighted in the graphic of paying more for Youtube etc, but one where it basically blocks out chunks of the net, or slows them down ot the point where they're unusable.

Want a Sky ISP in a bundle with your TV stuff? You can only use Sky News, not that nasty BBC News service, etc.

I'm more than happy to help out in getting stuff out there to a wider audience. I would strongly recommend starting up a petition on the government website, and having the ball start rolling from there. If you/we/anyone sits on their hands and bandies around ideas for long enough, inertia sets in an things don't get done. If you can get the request up and running, then we can build from there.
Curiosity wrote:
I'm strongly pro-neutrality. For me, the nightmare scenario is not the one highlighted in the graphic of paying more for Youtube etc, but one where it basically blocks out chunks of the net, or slows them down ot the point where they're unusable.

True, but that graphic illustrates the point superbly for your average Joe. I would use a UK tailored version of it.
Plissken wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

True, but that graphic illustrates the point superbly for your average Joe. I would use a UK tailored version of it.

Oh indeed. It's certainly a good illustration.
Curiosity wrote:
Want a Sky ISP in a bundle with your TV stuff? You can only use Sky News, not that nasty BBC News service, etc.
This is a good UK-centric bit of precedent. What are the rules regarding Sky's carriage? I know they petitioned OfCom a while back to allow them to put Sky One at 001 in the EPG, replacing BBC1, and were not allowed to do so.
Whoop! Whoop! eQuality! Whoop! Whoop!
\
Invisible man gets a blowjob, yesterday.
Page 2 of 2 [ 60 posts ]