I am a Frenchman, and yet hate garlic.
for example
Dimrill wrote:
I notice your Hobbes is turning more yellow there, Chris. A sign I think of... YOUR LEMON SYMPATHIES.

FTFY.

I'm not very imaginative with the FTFY game, actually.
Do you know what?

Fuck The Stereotypes.

The French want to call me rossbeef.

I say let them. I fucking love Roast Beef. And we get to call the Frogs!

The Americans want to call me Limey? So what. We call them Yanks and that's only accurate for about 1% of the population or something.

The Australians want to call us Pommes. (either because we eat apples or potatoes - I bloodly love both of them) Yet we get to call them convicts (or maybe aussies)

The Germans called us Tommy (after I presume the machine gun). We call them Kraut (which means cabbage)

I would rather be British than any from any of those countries.

Malc
I'd like to say 'Proud to be British', but then I also think that being British is typified by drinking alcohol almost constantly, being an inconsiderate twat when abroad, and/or a football hooligan that partakes in all of the above + casual violence. I wouldn't blame any foreigner to stereotype me in that way, because it's certainly the impression I get of this country.
I'm not sure whether The Stereotypes or Fuck The Stereotypes is the better band name.
MrD wrote:
I'm not sure whether The Stereotypes or Fuck The Stereotypes is the better band name.

Both >>> The Stereophonics
Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
The Australians want to call us Pommes. (either because we eat apples or potatoes - I bloodly love both of them) Yet we get to call them convicts (or maybe aussies)

I thought Pome was shorthand for Prisoner Of Mother England, but I may have been sinisterly lied to again.
Dimrill wrote:
Malc wrote:

I thought Pome was shorthand for Prisoner Of Mother England, but I may have been sinisterly lied to again.

BACKRONYM ALERT!

There's no definitive reason agreed upon, though the OED believes it to be some sort of shortening of 'pomegranate', which was probably some sort of 'immigrant' rhyming slang.

*shrugs*
I thought it was originally 'POHM', or 'Prisoner of His/Her Majesty', which for some reason the convict cunts turned round and started using for us.
Who cares, there's only 20 million of the buggers and they have to content with poisonous snakes, spiders, and cane toads.
According to that splendid organ Wikipedia, "Tommy" has been about far longer than tommy guns. I think Tommy guns were just a shortened version of Thompson, who made it.

Apparently, any of the acronyms that is meant to date back before WWII is almost certainly made up.
"Aren't you proud to be American?"

"I don't know, I didn't have much to do with it. My parents fucked there, that's all."

Anyway. I'm fat, but I'm not jolly.
I'm a scientist, but I'm alright, really.
MaliA wrote:

[citation needed]
Rodafowa wrote:
"Aren't you proud to be American?"

"I don't know, I didn't have much to do with it. My parents fucked there, that's all."

This (although mine were in Spain, apparently).

There are things about England and the English people at large that are excellent. There are many that are shit. There are ace people in every country. Ace people are the important thing, not fucking flags or arbitrary, imaginary lines in the ground.
myoptika wrote:
MaliA wrote:

[citation needed]

http://www.MaliAismadeofpureawesome.com
i am a french man, but i do not like red wine.
Have you - and I apologize in advance, truly - ever ridden a bicycle along a country road, wearing a black beret, a black and white striped shirt, going 'Haw haw haw haw!' in laughter, whilst eating an onion? Or do you know anyone who ever has?

I wasn't even aware that the French 'were known for' red wine! That's a new one on me. Please, do feel free to say something about myself and roast beef now, really :)
CUS wrote:
I wasn't even aware that the French 'were known for' red wine! That's a new one on me.

I know it's hard for us mere mortals to tell when you're joking and/or being clever and as subtle as a summer breeze, but you're kidding, right?
Mr Chris wrote:
CUS wrote:
I wasn't even aware that the French 'were known for' red wine! That's a new one on me.

I know it's hard for us mere mortals to tell when you're joking and/or being clever and as subtle as a summer breeze, but you're kidding, right?

If not, I shall kill him until he dies from it.
i have ridden a bicycle along a country road, if that is any good? les rosbifs is more for the older englishman. we french do think you english are all gay however ;)
And yet you're the ones who wear the tight-fitting trousers and smell of onions. Odd.
touché ;)

my uncle always wears very tight trousers :)
SuperFunGordon wrote:
we french do think you english are all gay however ;)

We are! But only for you french :luv:

Quote:

Nope. France does wine, sure. Then again, every country does wine. When I think stereotypical French wine, I think champagne. That's just the racial profiling that *I* know, ymmv.
CUS wrote:
Have you - and I apologize in advance, truly - ever ridden a bicycle along a country road, wearing a black beret, a black and white striped shirt, going 'Haw haw haw haw!' in laughter, whilst eating an onion? Or do you know anyone who ever has?

That's not racism, that's solid fact.
SuperFunGordon wrote:
touché ;)

ENGLISH PLEASE.
myoptika wrote:
SuperFunGordon wrote:
touché ;)

ENGLISH PLEASE.

Touch me.
If you insist.
CUS wrote:
Quote:

Nope. France does wine, sure. Then again, every country does wine. When I think stereotypical French wine, I think champagne. That's just the racial profiling that *I* know, ymmv.

Really? So the fact that the majority of red wine types are named after regions of France passed you by? Oh, you're from the Midlands, aren't you? ;)

ymmv?
Mr Chris wrote:
Really? So the fact that the majority of red wine types are named after regions of France passed you by? Oh, you're from the Midlands, aren't you? ;)
ymmv?

Your Mileage May Vary.

I live in Wolverhampton, which has no Wolves, work near Shrewsbury which has no Shrews, and work in Telford (which I'm reasonably sure doesn't have a ford). I come from near Brownhills which is grey and flat.

The fact that anything is named after anything, means little to me - I've never heard 'Ah, you big wine drinker!' as any kind of racial slur. And when I've seen beret-wearing onion-eaters* standing around atop the Eiffel Tower, refusing to invade Iraq, the red wine just didn't stand out in the picture for me.

* Obviously I am describing an assembly of the French parliament. Jesus, someone shoot me already.
myoptika wrote:
*Cocks gun*

*Guns cock*

sorry
CUS wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
ymmv?

Your Mileage May Vary.

I live in Wolverhampton, which has no Wolves, work near Shrewsbury which has no Shrews, and work in Telford (which I'm reasonably sure doesn't have a ford). I come from near Brownhills which is grey and flat.

The fact that anything is named after anything, means little to me - I've never heard 'Ah, you big wine drinker!' as any kind of racial slur.
Oh, quite fair enough, and all that, I was just surprised that you didn't make the connection I did. The archetypal Frenchie is one in a beret, smoking Gaulloises, drinking red wine and having sex in a disinterested fashion.

And we're talking sterotypes, not slurs, of course. I consider all that a compliment, myself...
i think i have smoked, drink red wine and had boring sex all at the same time. i wish i had a beret because then i would be a hero to you!
Seriously, if you were to wear a beret and go "Haw haw haw!", you could make a *fortune* just going around British comedy clubs and doing that. You're French, so it's okay. You'd be minted.
You don't own a beret???

*tinkling sound as Pundabaya's shattered worldview collapses onto the cold, dead ground*
Mr Chris wrote:

Hey, don't tar me with the same stick here dude. I'm not like that ignoramus, I loves me wine, me.
Dimrill wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

Hey, don't tar me with the same stick here dude. I'm not like that ignoramus, I loves me wine, me.

Lambrini doesn't count.
I apologise for not being sufficiently middle-class / alcoholic. I will now rectify the situation by booking a nice French holiday in Shiraz, with a stop-over in Riesling.
CUS wrote:
I apologise for not being sufficiently middle-class and alcoholic. I will now rectify the situation by booking a nice French holiday in Shiraz, with a stop-over in Riesling.

Riesling shit when it rains a lot though. You'd best hope it's dry.
CUS wrote:
I apologise for not being sufficiently middle-class / alcoholic. I will now rectify the situation by booking a nice French holiday in Shiraz, with a stop-over in Riesling.

Riesling's German. ?:|
Craster wrote:
CUS wrote:

Riesling's German. ?:|

And Shiraz is in Iran.
Craster loses!
Yeah, but that's because Shiraz is a misnomer made up by new world vinters, and the grape is actually called Syrah.
Indeed. It's all a load of fancy-schmancy bollocks. What matters is what's on offer that week, and if it's red, or white or rose, how strong it is, and how dry or sweet it is.
Craster wrote:
Yeah, but that's because Shiraz is a misnomer made up by new world vinters, and the grape is actually called Syrah.

That's the fault of the Australians.
Also, wine types are Bordeaux, Sancerre, Burgundy, Champagne, etc.

Syrah, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, etc are grape varieties.
Well, I thought that went without saying.
CUS wrote:

You missed the word "majority"? Or you're making a funny?

Curiosity - yeah, I know, but let's not confuse the poor lad, eh?
"Darling.... shall we get the hints of autumn fruits with a subtle citrus garland, or shall we go for the crisp, bold fruit flavours with the dry, oaky walnutting?"
"Oh babe, you know I wanted a subtle intimidation of acorns with vague rumours and apocrypha of oak!"
"Now now, we agreed that we wanted a warm but subtle rush of spring flavours."

I like Black Tower. Supposedly, it tastes of pineapple. Fuck off, it's grapes.
myoptika wrote:
Dimrill wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

Lambrini doesn't count.

As if Dimmers drinks Lambrini. He has more class than that. Thunderbird, on the other hand...
Page 2 of 3 [ 126 posts ]