Middle Age Spread
Doing something about it
After Sunday's 35km off road, my friend has found a 50km off road route Durham way. I'll probably say "yeah, let's go" fairly soon. After I stick clipless epdals on the bike (increased pedalling efficiency) and some water bottle holders. There's a 4 mile climb about half way round, which looks fun.

I've been eyeing up this 58km yin for next time the weather's good & I can get company incase something goes tits up.
http://7stanesmountainbiking.com/Glentr ... y-CTC-Ride

Best bit is that it has an extra 14km black option near Kirroughtree (around the halfway point) :)
http://7stanesmountainbiking.com/Kirrou ... ack-Craigs
The Last Salmon Man wrote:
Trooper wrote:
And i've just bought some multi-vitamins to take once a day

Waste of money, unfortunately. As long as you have a balanced diet, they are pointless.

According to the myfitnesspal app, my vitamin input was well off recommendation, so I thought I would try and top it up.
Interesting article. I've never take mutlivitamins in the past, as I just didn't believe that the RDA was correct, as i've never eaten the RDA of anything and i'm still alive and relatively healthy!

These cost me £4! I'm going to bloody eat them regardless :D
Trooper wrote:
These cost me £4! I'm going to bloody eat them regardless :D

All the more reason to bin them - they're probably shite! :D
:D Doing a bit more reading on them and i'll probably bin them, but I do have a problem with the research.
Claiming that multivitamins do nothing for you, and then in the next breath stating that all you need to do is get your 5-a-day is hilarious and make me wonder about the quality of research.

5-a-day came about due to the WHO recommending it. Why did they recommend it? Not based on any research, just that they thought that was the maximum that they could expect people to eat, so 5-a-day it was. The real amount needed to hit supposedly "good" levels of nutrition is actually somewhere between 8 and 13-a-day, and depends more on the type of fruit and veg rather than the quantity.
MaliA wrote:
After Sunday's 35km off road, my friend has found a 50km off road route Durham way. I'll probably say "yeah, let's go" fairly soon. After I stick clipless epdals on the bike (increased pedalling efficiency) and some water bottle holders. There's a 4 mile climb about half way round, which looks fun.

I'd be looking for a bus stop at 17 miles.
Trooper wrote:
And i've just bought some multi-vitamins to take once a day

Waste of money, unfortunately. As long as you have a balanced diet, they are pointless.

Makes my wee look nice.

And I'm happy with the placebo, then!
I don't believe that vitamins are a waste of money, I think you just need to be very aware of what you are buying. A lot of the high street stuff (Like Holland and Barratt and even Boots) is just crap, your body will get little to no absorbency from them anyway, as they just add it to whatever carrier they choose.
Trooper wrote:
:D Doing a bit more reading on them and i'll probably bin them, but I do have a problem with the research.
Claiming that multivitamins do nothing for you, and then in the next breath stating that all you need to do is get your 5-a-day is hilarious and make me wonder about the quality of research.

5-a-day came about due to the WHO recommending it. Why did they recommend it? Not based on any research, just that they thought that was the maximum that they could expect people to eat, so 5-a-day it was. The real amount needed to hit supposedly "good" levels of nutrition is actually somewhere between 8 and 13-a-day, and depends more on the type of fruit and veg rather than the quantity.

There was a fascinating Dispatches last week about the horrifying way that '5-a-day' is being used to market sugar-packed crap like well known smoothie brands.
Wasn't there something on tonight about sports stuff? I meant to record it.
I'm finding that nowadays if I don't get out on my bike a couple of days a week, I'm a right grumpy shit.
Had my second PT session today, certainly managed more than last time and found it easier. I have a new love of boxing. :luv:
180lbs today :)
A couple of meals out this weekend though as Mrs T is back from training for a couple of nights. I'm much better at watching what I eat when i'm on my own :D
Week three of the course is definitely trickier, i'm now feeling out of breath when i stop. Shoes have made an awesome difference though :)
Has anyone tried those crazy "Five Fingers" barefoot shoes? I'm tempted to get some :D
Trooper wrote:
180lbs today :)
A couple of meals out this weekend though as Mrs T is back from training for a couple of nights. I'm much better at watching what I eat when i'm on my own :D

Oh, and my regular monday update.
3 runs done this week.
Now walking to and from work every day as part of my commute, which is 45 minutes of brisk walking 5 times a week.
Weigh in this morning = 180lbs :)
After something of a stall, I've finally bust through 230lb. 220 is my next goal, being as it'll put me down into double digits of kilos. Annoyingly, I appear to have developed achilles tendonitis in my left ankle.
Craster wrote:
After something of a stall, I've finally bust through 230lb. 220 is my next goal, being as it'll put me down into double digits of kilos. Annoyingly, I appear to have developed achilles tendonitis in my left ankle.

The only thing you can do about that is rest, isn't it? Which is a bit of a bummer.

One more week 3 run to do, then week 4, which looks like a step up in difficulty! 3 minutes on, 90 seconds off, 5 minutes on, 150 seconds off, repeat. Not looking forward to the first one of that...
Trooper wrote:
One more week 3 run to do, then week 4, which looks like a step up in difficulty! 3 minutes on, 90 seconds off, 5 minutes on, 150 seconds off, repeat. Not looking forward to the first one of that...

And welcome to my personal hell that is interval training. I used to run (ages, ages back) 400m sprints, rest for 20 seconds, then do it again, rest for twenty seconds and do it again aiing for a set %age of time ebtween the first and the last. I hated every moment of it.
To make life easier for me when I first reach CANANDADA, I was going to take advantage of the fact that I'm an HSBC customer to open an HSBC account over there, so I can have quick access to money here (until everything is tied up over here).

To do so costs £100, unless you're a Premier customer, in which case it's free. I'm not Premier, but my dad is. My local branch advised me to get him to speak to his Premier 'relationship manager' and sort something out for me, either by waiving the charge for me or giving us a joint account in Canada with the cost covered by his Premier-ness.

My dad duly contacted his relationship manager who then called me in one of the most confusing phone calls ever - essentially repeating back to me what I already knew, that to do a joint account my father would need to go into his branch, show ID, sign papers, which are then sent to my branch where I do likewise. When I pointed out that St Albans is NOT my local branch and that hadn't he best get my dad in first to do his bit before I can do mine, he seemed even more confused and went to call my dad back.

My dad wasn't impressed and, stressed by their own move, grumbled and said he'd have another talk with them.

Over a week later, I get another call from another HSBC flunky who is in the St Albans branch with my dad, and tells me that the actual relationship manager (as opposed to flunky himself) has solved the problem by letting me become a Premier customer. All I need to do is go into my local branch and tell them as such (with his name and phone number to back it up) and I become Premier and can then get my OWN HSBC account in Canada. All done, sorted.

Ten minutes later, my phone rings again. HSBC's number. Same flunky. Asking to speak to a 'Nicholas James'. No idea who that is, sorry, don't you recognize my name and number because I sure recognize yours!

My dad calls to confirm everything, and is fuming at HSBC for failing to understand what we wanted... he sat down in their branch and was presented with paperwork for a UK joint account!
And then you went running?
MaliA wrote:
Trooper wrote:

And welcome to my personal hell that is interval training. I used to run (ages, ages back) 400m sprints, rest for 20 seconds, then do it again, rest for twenty seconds and do it again aiing for a set %age of time ebtween the first and the last. I hated every moment of it.

My main issue is that i'm knackered after 3 minutes at the moment, waiting 90 seconds and then doing 5 minutes straight after is going to kill me :D
Craster wrote:
And then you went running?

:D
Trooper wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Trooper wrote:

My main issue is that i'm knackered after 3 minutes at the moment, waiting 90 seconds and then doing 5 minutes straight after is going to kill me :D

I think you'll be surprised. in a pleasant way.
MaliA wrote:
Trooper wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Trooper wrote:

I'm hoping so too. I've been running very slow so far, and in the final minute last night I thought "fuck it" and stretched out my stride and actually ran rather than jogged. It felt so much better and so easy, but I know I can't keep that up for a long while. It does give me hope for the future though.
OK, so I have had a personal trainer for a month.

My weight has gone down my a quarter of a stone. Means nothing to me, really.
My body fat is apparently the same, but I don't trust the scales. ;)
My arms and chest have shrunk slightly which is fine, as I'd not been working on them so much.
My thighs and hips are bigger (muscle, not fat!).
My waist has gone down - 34" to 32 3/4".

That last one is the biggie for me. My blood pressure is apparently insanely good, too, and I have the recovery time of Cristiano Ronaldo or something. Just not his height, his looks, his money, his talent...
you had a 66.75 inch waist before?

That's good going!

Malc
Maybe it's gone down minus 34"!
Put my belt on for work this morning and had to tighten it another notch. :)

I think my PT is trying to kill me, but he's not winning! :D
MaliA wrote:
Trooper wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Took a week off before attempting week 4 for 2 reasons.
1) I thought it best to let my leg muscles totally rebuild before running again.
2) Drinking and hangover related activities :D

Just done the first run of week 4.... and finished it! :DD Properly knackered at the end though, I could have maybe ran another minute or so but I was hardly "running" at that point. Lungs were fine but legs were dead.
First 3 minutes were easy, next 5 not too bad, next 3 easy, last 5 a nightmare. It doesn't help that my route is slightly hilly, and the last 5 minute run was all slightly uphill.
http://runkeeper.com/user/trooperlooper ... /106928888

Oh, and 177lbs this morning :D
I went home today and stole some barbells out of the garage. Got them back here and it turns out they're a £500 set of "Bowflex" jobbies. Wonder if my Dad will notice...

My training regime of running/barbells (three alternate days a week of each) starts soon. First, quitting smoking for good.

I managed nearly six weeks earlier in the year until I fell off the wagon during a day on the beer. This time!
WTB wrote:
My training regime of running/barbells (three alternate days a week of each) starts soon. First, quitting smoking for good.

Start the running now. Then wheezing your lungs out will give you extra motivation to quit smoking.
That's certainly a good plan, seeing as I'm continually putting off the running every time I buy a new pack. But, I plan on quitting tomorrow anyway! I have a few left and when they're gone I'm onto the gum I bought preemptively, which worked last time. I spent about a week on the gum, then I didn't need it anymore.

Unfortunately I did need it when I got beer in me, but I'd left it at home so I bought fags. :facepalm:
You weren't kidding about week 4, Trooper - it's a real step up. Still, nailed it and feel thoroughly pleased with myself.

Apparently run 3 of week 5 is the real bitch!
Trooper wrote:

Apparently run 3 of week 5 is the real bitch!

Is that the one where they sneakily enter you into the Siberian Marathon?
I'm going to weigh myself for the first time since this started this afternoon, wish me luck!
Did anyone see this last night?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/ ... /b01lxyzc/

It was really, really interesting. Basically there seems to be a lot of evidence that fasting is good for you. The presenter tried a few different regimes and found that a diet where you fast (consume no more than 600 calories) for two days each week and eat whatever you like for the other five had some fairly dramatic positive effects on weight, blood glucose and levels of things whose name I've forgotten but are associated with cancers. I've seen him do other shows before about diet and exercise but he was convinced enough that he said he'll be sticking with the fasting.
Sounds good. Might try that.
markg wrote:
Did anyone see this last night?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/ ... /b01lxyzc/

It was really, really interesting. Basically there seems to be a lot of evidence that fasting is good for you. The presenter tried a few different regimes and found that a diet where you fast (consume no more than 600 calories) for two days each week and eat whatever you like for the other five had some fairly dramatic positive effects on weight, blood glucose and levels of things whose name I've forgotten but are associated with cancers. I've seen him do other shows before about diet and exercise but he was convinced enough that he said he'll be sticking with the fasting.

Aye, I saw that. I also realised that is what I used to do when I was thin and single, although not as an sort of regime. I'd have days were I couldn't be arsed to go shopping and would not bother to eat. Also, now Mrs T is off doing cabin crew stuff it means our regular shop is out the window, I frequently have no food in the house so skip dinner if I'm on my own and can't be arsed to sort anything. On other days I rock over to Costco and eat bundles of crap all day, yet i'm losing weight.
Sam was telling me about this last night. And why pygmies don't get cancer, or diabetes.
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
And why pygmies don't get cancer, or diabetes.

But they are fucking short, so it's swings and roundabouts.
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Sam was telling me about this last night. And why pygmies don't get cancer, or diabetes.

Could be they have a shorter life expectsancy, so things like that don't really affect them.
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
And why pygmies don't get cancer, or diabetes.

But they are fucking short, so it's swings and roundabouts.

Pot -> kettle! :p
MaliA wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Could be they have a shorter life expectsancy, so things like that don't really affect them.

Nah, this wasn't dwarfs, midgets or pygmies, it was actually a specific "defect" that stopped the IGF growth hormone in a certain type of people. The didn't get cancer or diabetes, even though they ate shit and smoked, and they had a longer life expectancy.

The science behind fasting is that it stops the liver producing as much IGF. IGF is what the body uses to grow and produce new cells, when there is less IGF the body repairs your current cells rather than growing new ones.
The more I read and learn, the more I'm convinced that the standard model of nutrition is fundamentally broken.

226lb this morning. Was 240lb when I started dieting and exercising.
Craster wrote:
The more I read and learn, the more I'm convinced that the standard model of nutrition is fundamentally broken.

226lb this morning. Was 240lb when I started dieting and exercising.

Well done :)

I'm off out for run 2 of week 4 this lunch time. I have my new running shirt so i'm sure it will be fine.
Respectfully, I'm suspicious of such claims.
No, I really do have a new shirt.
Page 7 of 82 [ 4077 posts ]