Bits and Bobs 48
**COMMENTS WILL BE MODERATED**
Well there you go. Learn something every day (without using Google)
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
"Neev", as in Neve Campbell. It's Irish.

Huh, I always pronounced her name as "Nev".
I'd assumed you'd go for nee-vay.
Wait, I thought you were Grim...
Thinking about this more, that name is ridiculous. I know those letters but not in that order and it definitely doesn't spell Neeve. Why would you give your child a name that they're going to have to explain to everyone they meet?
TheVision wrote:
Thinking about this more, that name is ridiculous. I know those letters but not in that order and it definitely doesn't spell Neeve. Why would you give your child a name that they're going to have to explain to everyone they meet?

It's why second kid's middle name is Alice, unlike first, whose middle name is Maebh.
TheVision wrote:

The Niamh I knew was very slim, pretty, and went to the private school. That's the o ly reason I know how to say it. I thought Chloe was said "Sch-low" until recently, and don't get me started on Siobhan.
I went to school with a Rory. Spelt 'Ruaraidh', obviously.
This bloke, in fact - Real Tennis was his thing: www.irtpa.com/player-profile/43/
JBR wrote:
Spelt 'Ruaraidh'.

Siobhan was ghastly. But then Jennie Darling was in no position to criticise.
TheVision wrote:

I...you know it's a different language, right?
Cras wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Yes, but the person who has the name isn't Irish and neither are their parents. It'd be like me calling my son Hamish McLochness except I'd be spelling it Hermough McLoughious.
TheVision wrote:
Cras wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Yes, but the person who has the name isn't Irish and neither are their parents. It'd be like me calling my son Hamish McLochness except I'd be spelling it Hermough McLoughious.

Oh - well that is indeed a totally different matter, and they're idiots.
Not as bad as being called Ralph and spending your life telling everyone that it's pronounced Rafe.
markg wrote:
Not as bad as being called Ralph and spending your life telling everyone that it's pronounced Rafe.

This is Fiennes.
Is like spelling your town's name Leicester and insisting that it's pronounced Lester.
DavPaz wrote:
Is like spelling your town's name Leicester and insisting that it's pronounced Lester.

Fowey
DavPaz wrote:

Or spelling it Dudley but saying it 'Dudloy'
MaliA wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Fowey

Bister
Woolfardisworthy and Oswaldtwistle are my faves.
These names are worth having just to hear Americans trying to say them. I think my favourite is Eden-Bro.
Wurchestershire.
I have a friend called Aisling and although I know it's said Ashleen I mentally call her eye-ling all the time.
"Eye-sling" for me.
markg wrote:
These names are worth having just to hear Americans trying to say them. I think my favourite is Eden-Bro.

They'd be more likely to say Edinburgh with a hard G, surely? Like Pittsburgh.

They have plenty of town names we butcher as well, so it's a two-way street. :)
Lonewolves wrote:
markg wrote:

It's partly a two-way street. There's no excuse possible for Arkansas.

Especially as it's down the road from Kansas.
Lonewolves wrote:
markg wrote:

I'd say that on the whole American spelling of place names tend to be more phonetic, though. Just because they weren't named at a time when everyone was talking in what almost amounts to a different language.
Lonewolves wrote:
markg wrote:

This is Fiennes.

:D
Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Or spelling it Dudley but saying it 'Dudloy'

Pfft... It's Dudlay aye it?
Cras wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
markg wrote:

Especially as it's down the road from Kansas.

7 hours from Kansas City to Little Rock. Not really down the road. ;) Interestingly, Arkansas City in Kansas is pronounced with the S.

markg wrote:
I'd say that on the whole American spelling of place names tend to be more phonetic, though. Just because they weren't named at a time when everyone was talking in what almost amounts to a different language.

What, like Tuscon, Maryland, Van Nuys? Des Moines and Des Plaines?
Lonewolves wrote:
Des Moines and Des Plaines?

Objection! French!
DavPaz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Des Moines and Des Plaines?

Objection! French!

Both are pronounced differently though, is my point.
Lonewolves wrote:
7 hours from Kansas City to Little Rock. Not really down the road. ;)

1hr 10min from Baxter Springs, KS to Gravette, AR. Don't think I don't fact check myself :)
Wait, how are you pronouncing Maryland?
Cras wrote:
Arkansas.

R. Kelly.
Apparently it's more like Marilyn with a dee on the end
Curiosity wrote:

Chocolate Chip or Double Choc?
Curiosity wrote:

"Marl'nd", or thereabouts.
Cras wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
7 hours from Kansas City to Little Rock. Not really down the road. ;)

1hr 10min from Baxter Springs, KS to Gravette, AR. Don't think I don't fact check myself :)

Oh yeah, huge urban centres from which the states would've been founded. Silly me.
In fact their names were derived from two different native tribes, so no real surprise they're pronounced differently.
Wait, both tribes spoke the Siouan language, so perhaps not. :S
In any case Craster is trying to pour on more misery to the native Americans. Not only did you have your land stolen and people killed, Craster finds it amusing that you pronounce your words inconsistently.

Shame.
Cras wrote:

Wait wait wait is that the place that's pronounced "Ark-en-saw"?

:blown:
Lonewolves wrote:
In any case Craster is trying to pour on more misery to the native Americans. Not only did you have your land stolen and people killed, Craster finds it amusing that you pronounce your words inconsistently.

Shame.

I vote we rename both states CORTEZWASGRATE
Lonewolves wrote:
Siouan

Shivaughn.
Lonewolves wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

"Marl'nd", or thereabouts.

They don't in The Wire.
Page 7 of 60 [ 2973 posts ]