Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: OOO The Olympics
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 18:39 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I would like to bring to attention the following quotes:

Bobbyaro wrote:
Well, if James Bond has taught me anything, it is always your missiles/helicopter/nuclear sub which is used against you, so I can only hope these are fakes.

Quote:
HMS Ocean, on deployment in the Thames as part of the Olympic security preparations, had a close encounter with the Thames Barrier as it made its way up the river.

The ship, which was being led by tug boats, squeezed through the central gate supports.

An MoD spokesman described the manoeuvre as 'near perfect' and said the ship's path through the Thames Barrier helped counter a brisk crosswind.

Quote:
HMS Ocean open day in Greenwich

Date: 07 May 2012
Location: Greenwich Pier, Cutty Sark Gardens, Greenwich, SE10 9HT
Time: 10:00am - 5:00pm

Don't say I didn't warn you!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:00 

A lengthy article in 'Vanity Fair' on the Olympics, the costs, and the demands of the IoC. Seldom has the publication's name been so apt.

Now, how do I get involved with the IoC gravy train? I too want my own car lane in London, five-star hotel, and unrelated 'gifts' from countries after my vote.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 14:37 

Kern wrote:
I wonder how quickly Seb Coe would sue us if we subtitled this site: 'Be Excellent to Each Other: official opponents of the 2012 Olympics (and Stewart Lee)'

Well, we'll certainly need a logo for this campaign.

How about five Beexers pulling a "mooney" in the pattern of the Olympics' symbol. Last five chickens at Asda?

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 15:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mine's more like a turkey.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:24 
Sleepyhead

Fucking hell, the ticketing system for the football is beyond retarded.

On August 1st you can pay a maximum of 40 quid in Cardiff to watch Mexico vs Switzerland AND Team GB vs Uruguay.

That's cracking value.

At the same time, in London, you can pay SIXTY quid to watch one game at Wembley. That game? Korea vs Gabon.

Sixty quid. Bloody hell.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I still don't know what match(es) we're going to see.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 13:12 
Honey Boo Boo

Curiosity wrote:
Fucking hell, the ticketing system for the football is beyond retarded.

On August 1st you can pay a maximum of 40 quid in Cardiff to watch Mexico vs Switzerland AND Team GB vs Uruguay.

Remind me to not be in work that day!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 20:25 
Worst

Don't be in work that day.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 13:52 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Torch goes out - however what interested me more on the story was the torchbearers selling their torches and relay uniforms on ebay

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ma ... -out-torch

Quote:
At least the Olympic flame burned brightly and strongly for the first two days. But on day three of the relay the flame went out as it was being carried through the Devon town of Great Torrington.

The torch was attached to the side of para-badminton star David Follett's wheelchair when the flame went out shortly before 10am.

It was not a complete disaster: the torch was re-lit using a backup flame that is transported around with the torchbearers. A spokesperson for the London 2012 organising committee blamed a malfunction within the burner and said it was not uncommon for flames to be extinguished.

The spokesman said: "The flame went out due to a malfunctioning burner. It is not uncommon for a flame to go out and this can happen for a number of reasons, for example, in extreme winds. We keep the mother flame alight in specially designed miners' lanterns so if the flame does go out for some reason we re-light it from the source of the flame."

The committee was also facing questions after it emerged that a woman taking part in the relay may have made up to £150,000 by selling her torch on eBay.

Sarah Milner Simonds, from Somerset, says she will pass the money on to charity but has received abusive emails and could be in for a frosty reception when her turn to carry the flame comes on Monday afternoon.

She is one of a number of runners who are selling their torches, which they can buy for £199 on the internet auction site. By Monday morning one torch bearer from Cornwall, where the relay began on Saturday, had received a bid of almost £40,000 for a torch.

Another torch from the Scottish leg of the relay, which does not begin until the middle of next month, is already on sale together with the bearer's "relay uniform". According to the description, 5% of the money made will go to charity.

It is not yet known if the bid Milner Simonds has received is genuine. She said she would put any money she made to the People's Plot, a west London community allotment.

There has been some surprise among onlookers that each of the 8,000 people taking part in the relay has his or her own torch. The flame is passed from one bearer to the next in what is being termed a torch "kiss".

A spokesman for the London 2012 organising committee said there was nothing they could do to prevent the sale of the torches or the white uniforms worn by relay runners. "The torches are the torchbearers' to do what they want with them. We hope they find a good home," he said.

There was some criticism when it was announced that torchbearers would have to pay £199 if they wanted to keep their golden torch, although organisers argued the cost was subsidised.

Another surprising element of the relay to some is the fact that the flame is not carried exclusively on foot but is transported for part of the way in a vehicle in "convoy mode" On Monday morning, the convoy – flanked by police outriders – was driven along the A30 from Exeter to Okehampton in Devon as the third leg got under way.

Later it was being carried by the former England cricketer Marcus Trescothick and farmer Tony Hill, 86, who was due to be a torchbearer at the 1948 Olympic games but had to dash to hospital instead with appendicitis.

Hill, a former cross-country runner, said: "I never thought I'd get another chance. It's a real honour. I've been doing a bit of jogging to get fit."

The convoy travelling with the flame is made up of 14 core vehicles. There are also sponsors, media and security vehicles plus a command car. A crew of approximately 350 people are set to be working on each day of the 70-day relay.

It wasn't just those who are running in the relay who are looking to cash in. The limited edition aluminium bottles of Coca-Cola being handed out by the soft drinks giant along the relay route as part of its role as a "presenting partner" were selling for upwards of £26 on eBay.

But despite concerns about some participants' efforts to make money from the event, the start appears to have been largely positive.

Police said the population of Cornwall doubled for the day when the relay began on Saturday and business leaders there estimated there had been a £1.1m boost to the economy. The test will be whether the crowds continue to appear over the days and weeks to come.

The ebay link http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw ... 0845977525

Highest one that has bids on that i can see is £10,000

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Official-Lond ... 4d01636f15

And someone in Greece decided it was a good idea to sell the ones they had as well (completed listing for almost £5,000)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OFFICIAL-OLYM ... 3376601bae

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 13:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

zaphod79 wrote:
And someone in Greece decided it was a good idea to sell the ones they had as well (completed listing for almost £5,000)

FTFY

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 13:58 
ugvm'er at heart...

zaphod79 wrote:
The ebay link http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw ... 0845977525

Highest one that has bids on that i can see is £10,000

It was up to £153,000 when I checked at the weekend. I assume lots of joke bids etc...

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 14:03 

Backup flame is a crap euphemism.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 14:14 
8-Bit Champion

Trooper wrote:
It was up to £153,000 when I checked at the weekend. I assume lots of joke bids etc...

I assume so - from the story above some people have threatened the sellers as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 14:25 
Rude Belittler

I'm waiting for Seb to condemn those selling the torches, because he didn't think of it first.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 14:26 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Pundabaya wrote:
I'm waiting for Seb to condemn those selling the torches, because he didn't think of it first.

I hope he tries to make a "The Olympics aren't about money, this sort of selling of the Olympic Ideal to the highest bidder is totally wrong" type speech. Ideally whilst standing in front of a giant sponsors display.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 14:32 
ugvm'er at heart...

Seb has already sold them though. £200 a pop to each of the 8000 people taking part.

In other news, at the place I work we were all given anniversary t-shirts a while back (I forget which anniversary it was) which had a slogan on the front and our employee number on the back.
One guy sold his on ebay :D It wasn't hard to find out who it was! It didn't go down amazingly well with our founder :DD

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 14:41 
Gogmagog

Trooper wrote:
Seb has already sold them though. £200 a pop to each of the 8000 people taking part.

In other news, at the place I work we were all given anniversary t-shirts a while back (I forget which anniversary it was) which had a slogan on the front and our employee number on the back.
One guy sold his on ebay :D It wasn't hard to find out who it was! It didn't go down amazingly well with our founder :DD

Are you a footballer?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 14:43 
ugvm'er at heart...

MaliA wrote:

Are you a footballer?

Heh, no, not in the slightest.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 14:50 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

zaphod79 wrote:
Trooper wrote:

I assume so - from the story above some people have threatened the sellers as well.

That's the bit that concerns me. Who gets so worked up about it that they would actually threaten people?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 14:51 
Gogmagog

Craster wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
Trooper wrote:

That's the bit that concerns me. Who gets so worked up about it that they would actually threaten people?

The militant wing of Mumsnet.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 14:52 

Lympics Fans.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 15:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Craster wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Curiosity?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 15:43 
Rude Belittler

What kind of numpty goes to watch the Olympic flame relay anyway?

(waits patiently)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 15:44 
Hibernating Druid

Pyros?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 15:46 
Gogmagog

Pundabaya wrote:
What kind of numpty goes to watch the Olympic flame relay anyway?

(waits patiently)

Mummy and Old Man Afterthought.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 15:52 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

The flame passes by Lewisham DLR station at 7:45am a couple of days before limpics. I normally leave there at 7:30 each morning, so it is likely that I'll be caught up in it.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 15:53 

It'll be appearing at the Fort Wullie World Cup. So unless I'm up the mountain at that point I'll be seeing this "historic event". Fucking nuisance of a thing. No sure how they're planning to get it's 150 coach entourage into the Nevis Range car park when it's full of folk & the pit areas :belm:

Their schedule for it's drive up that side of the country is a laugh too. Presumably they've just google mapped it. It'll take them more than the allotted time just to get through the twisty bits up the North end of Loch Lomond & heaven help them if they get stuck behind a caravan convoy!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 16:07 

MaliA wrote:
Craster wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
Trooper wrote:

The militant wing of Mumsnet.

FeEx.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 16:10 
Excellent Member

Wullie wrote:
Their schedule for it's drive up that side of the country is a laugh too. Presumably they've just google mapped it. It'll take them more than the allotted time just to get through the twisty bits up the North end of Loch Lomond & heaven help them if they get stuck behind a caravan convoy!

Roads are being closed well in advance, and no it isn't merely Google mapped. It has been worked out to the nth degree.

Been working on some social media stuff (including the Torch Relay) for Coca Colas Olympic Intranet, so I've had to deal with the itinerary. Metric fuckton of stuff that Coke are doing in conjunction with the event - they might pay a fortune for the rights, but they get their moneys worth. (Such as over 1,000 Torch Bearers to be allocated as they see fit.)

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 16:21 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
The flame passes by Lewisham DLR station at 7:45am a couple of days before limpics. I normally leave there at 7:30 each morning, so it is likely that I'll be caught up in it.

You'll be caught up in the investigation when it gets nicked at 7:46am, certainly.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 16:28 
8-Bit Champion

Craster wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

You'll be caught up in the investigation when it gets nicked borrowed at 7:46am to light a fag, certainly.

FTFY

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 16:30 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Craster wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

You'll be caught up in the investigation when it gets nicked at 7:46am, certainly.

Sir, most people hanging around Lewisham DLR at any time have more "gold" stuff hanging around their neck. There are easier pickings than a stick on fire.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 16:32 

Plissken wrote:
Been working on some social media stuff (including the Torch Relay) for Coca Colas Olympic Intranet

Do let us know what Hell is like when you get there.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 18:58 
Excellent Member

Yeah.... I know.

If anyone wants me, I'll be the one weeping quietly in the corner.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 19:09 

Keep drinking the Pep-['BANG' -LOCOG]

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:44 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Star of stage and screen Will.I.Am ran with the Olympic Torch through the Somerset county town of Taunton. Bizarre.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:05 
Noob as of 6/8/10

I think he's attempting immigration by stealth.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:09 
Gogmagog

Warhead wrote:
I think he's attempting immigration by stealth.

I think he needs a better plan, then.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:13 
Hibernating Druid

Are you sure it wasn't a blunt?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:56 
Gogmagog

Humpf

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:00 

It's practically genocide.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:22 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:

They should put back all the Latin translations in Rome as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:29 
Hibernating Druid

They should howl it's true name at the full moon and daub it across visitors faces in blood.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 13:15 
Isn't that lovely?

Well, it goes to show that perhaps more people like the olympics than some one here thought (if people are turning up in their droves to watch just the torch!)

Malc

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 13:19 
UltraMod

Don't forget that this board is full of contrary bastards, though.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 13:19 

No it isn't.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 13:21 
Excellent Member

Malc wrote:
Well, it goes to show that perhaps more people like the olympics than some one here thought (if people are turning up in their droves to watch just the torch!)

Malc

People will turn up just so they can moan about how much of a waste of time turning up was.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 13:35 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I'm going to watch the torch when it comes to my town. I'm actually looking forward to it but, well... You know me. Incapable of seeing the negative.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 13:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Malc wrote:
(if people are turning up in their droves to watch just the torch!)

Are they?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 13:39 
Isn't that lovely?

Grim... wrote:
Malc wrote:
(if people are turning up in their droves to watch just the torch!)

Are they?

Yes!

Malc

Reply to topic  [ 2601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 53  Next