Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Aliens - Colonial Marines
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:34 

I'm currently purchasing this title literally as we speak. I'm hoping it will be fully purchased by the time I get home, so I can have a looksee. Valentine's Day be damned!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:35 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Destructiod's writeup of who actually worked on what bits

http://www.destructoid.com/so-who-the-h ... 4939.phtml

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I hope there's some fallout for this. Sega need to start suing people, for a start.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:54 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Grim... wrote:
I hope there's some fallout for this. Sega need to start suing people, for a start.

Starting with everyone who has said bad things about the game.. Starting with this forum. Ha! Bad luck guys.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 13:36 

Grim... wrote:

Obsidian (makers of Fallout New Vegas) were making an Aliens RPG for Sega, that almost certainly would have been fucking awesome.

Sega cancelled it in favour of A:CM.

:belm:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 15:57 

I did have a quick play of it last night. It's not as awful as I think the drubbing it's been getting online had led me to believe, but it's definitely not great either. I only played the very first Sulaco mission, right up to where the Weyland-Yutani grunts first appear, but the thing that most got to me so far is the really, really shitty AI. The Aliens seem to pretty much run about randomly.

The death sequences got me too - when you die, the screen goes black and white and changes to a third-person camera. On pretty much every occasion this happened to me, the Alien that killed me would be standing there perfectly still like a statue (sometimes there were slight, very slow movements), whilst the AI-controlled marine that had been accompanying me through the level appeared to have some kind of epileptic seizure.

The game just feels like it's been cobbled together in a rush. I'll definitely be playing a bit further though, I'm interested to see how the rest of it pans out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 15:59 

Ooh, another thing I noticed was that the 2nd mission starts in exactly the same place that the 1st one finishes, except it seemed to me this time that the graphics, or at least the lighting effects, had suddenly and very dramatically improved. Kinda threw me, that did.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 16:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The thread subtitle is rather ironic now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 16:21 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Zio wrote:
I only played the very first Sulaco mission, right up to where the Weyland-Yutani grunts first appear,

Disclaimer I've not played the game , but a number of the reviews comment that the first mission is probably one of the highlights of the game

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 0:05 

I'm playing the first mission now, it's funny. Mr. Alien was coming at me and I ran out of bullets. I hit reload. He stopped in front of me. Just stopped. Looked around a bit while I reloaded, then when I was done and took aim, he started at me again. Just after the aliens appear, there's one that comes out through a window and down a wall at you. I say down a wall, he comes out of a window and sticks to the wall and vibrates.

There's a bit where you walk along an umbilical tube to the Sulaco. It gets hit and ripples. I had a flashback to playing Powerfdrift on my mate's C64 in 1989.

This is on Win 7 64bit, Core 2 Duo E8500, Radeon 4800. 4 gig ram. I HAVE TO see what this runs like on a 360 because it's ropey as hell on my machine. Looks about half-life 2 standard, plays like Wolfenstein 3D.

Really, anyone trying to discuss this in the context of other, normal games is a jizzfalcon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:25 
Bad Girl

GazChap wrote:

I await a similar and inevitable video for Bioshock Infinity.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:02 
Skillmeister

:D :!: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... final-game

Quote:
Sega has added disclaimers to its Aliens: Colonial Marines trailers after admitting they didn't accurately reflect the final game.

The decision was made following talks between Sega and the Advertising Standards Agency sparked by a complaint made by a Reddit user called subpardave.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:08 
Decapodian

Dimrill wrote:
:D :!: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... final-game

Quote:
Sega has added disclaimers to its Aliens: Colonial Marines trailers after admitting they didn't accurately reflect the final game.

The decision was made following talks between Sega and the Advertising Standards Agency sparked by a complaint made by a Reddit user called subpardave.

Now all they need to do is invent a time machine to warn people before they bought it at launch....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Saturnalian wrote:
GazChap wrote:

I await a similar and inevitable video for Bioshock Infinity.

Heh :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:26 
Bad Girl

Did it happen or did they just say all footage was from an ultramegaawesomepersonalcomputerfromnasa?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I think it held up pretty well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:57 
Bad Girl

Oh Jesus, I'm playing this. Lord please help me understand why I'd want to deliberately torture myself with this trash.

Here's my own highlights thus far:

1) FUGLY intro. Really, really bad.
2) I know it's a game about marines in space but, come on, they could have tried a little harder with the dialogue which is just cliched embarrassing marine-talk.
3) Zero tension; zero atmosphere.
4) My first encounter with an Alien? I manage to successfully wrestle this massive beastie (where absolutely everyone everywhere has failed to be able to do this) by grabbing his face and kicking it in the stomach. Yeah, right.
5) After that, I'm destroying swarms of the things. Zero tension; zero atmosphere.
6) The pulse rifle sounds nice and carries a ton of bullets in a clip.
7) I've read that this was easy but even on Recruit (Very easy) I've died a stack of times right at the beginning when I'm waiting for someone to open a door and a load of aliens get stuck in. Me thinks they've patched the difficulty some.
8) The script is dreadful since, for a bunch of hardened marines, they ain't half a bunch of tits. At the beginning, one marines throws a grenade underneath a drop ship with 2 aliens on it. The dropship explodes. Dickhead. Worse still, one marine has an untimely attack of the chest burster in the middle of that thin walkway docking thing between two ships. If I've got an alien sticking out my chest I'm certainly going to pull a grenade and kill absolutely everyone in docking thing. Dickhead. Then you get back in your spaceship and you've got to make your way to the cargo bay. I can't remember the excuse as to why we couldn't take the lift but we accidentally stumble across another alien hive in THE SHIP WE ARRIVED IN! Where was it? The next room over... Then someone comes over the tannoy, "I'm alive but I woke up on the ship we arrived in with a face hugger on my face". Wha? How? We've just arrived - weren't you at the briefing about 10 minutes ago?
9) I love the NPC chatter when it all kicks off. My favourite is "LOOK UP THERE: CEILING." I'm not sure what he expected really.
10) I've waited for people to cut open 4 doors while I fend on aliens. FOUR DOORS. That was level one.

This is painful but, y'know, least the pulse rifle sounds good. Right?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:00 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I bought this for about £13.. It was the super special edition with the loader figurine thingy but I'm guessing that'll be the best part of the game.

I might give it a go.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:20 
Bad Girl

The weird thing about the music is that is sounds like someone is watching, say, the original black and white King Kong on a TV in the same room. It's not 'there' with you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 15:52 
Bad Girl

"Be advised, shits all exploding and shit" How did this pass quality control...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 16:07 
Hello Hello Hello

Didn't Michael Biehn have a really shitty time doing his voiceover for this game? I'm sure I've seen a video of him lamenting the horrible quality of the lines he's given to read, and generally thinking the whole thing was a crock of shit.

Why are you playing a game that's widely regarded as being total crap?

You've got a decent gaming PC now, why not treat yourself to Borderlands 2 for £4.99 in the Steam sale and play through that again, or Dishonored which is also £4.99.

GOTY editions of both of those are around a tenner at the moment in the sale.

Or really, just anything apart from Aliens Colonial Marines.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 16:12 
Bad Girl

I've just twigged that the death sequence (where it goes third person, black and white and some writing appears) is supposed to represent you being monitored on a screen. The fact that I've seen this multiple times and never caught on to what they were supposed to be doing is incredible. Not cause I'm crap; because the game is crap.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 17:03 
Bad Girl

I've turned some steam pipes off.

I've never done that in any game before ever.

The value was 5 foot from the steam pipe whose steamy air was blocking a switch. What a pointless obstacle. Turn valve, press switch, continue. Just...why? There's not even any enemies around.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 17:05 
Bad Girl

And does this section (level 5) have you creeping underneath the walkway with aliens popping down from above like haunted house monsters just to wave their arms and suddenly disappear? I'm bemused that someone thought this was a good idea.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 17:19 
Bad Girl

Yellow aliens that are blind and do a suicide explosion when they see you? REALLY!?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 18:31 

I still have the collector's edition thingie of this (with the power loader) shrink-wrapped in my loft. I can't bring myself to open it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 19:58 
Bad Girl

Hearthly wrote:
Why are you playing a game that's widely regarded as being total crap?

I've got it free on Steam (A friend has sold his PC so I've got his deets and catalog) and I'm curious. Also, I like Aliens. Morbid curiosity really, but then once I start something I need to finish it with my completionist OCD. It's apparently quote short too so I can add it to my "Finish 52."

Quote:
You've got a decent gaming PC now, why not treat yourself to Borderlands 2 for £4.99 in the Steam sale and play through that again, or Dishonored which is also £4.99.

Played them both to finish already! Y'know, I quite fancy that The Forest. Shame it's only Early Access and doesn't have a campaign to finish. I hate games I can't complete. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 20:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
I've got it free on Steam (A friend has sold his PC so I've got his deets and catalog) and I'm curious. Also, I like Aliens. Morbid curiosity really, but then once I start something I need to finish it with my completionist OCD. It's apparently quote short too so I can add it to my "Finish 52."

Well yes but if someone gave me a turd for free I wouldn't want to play with it just because it was free.

Quote:
Played them both to finish already!

I know, but you could play them again in mega-superio-vision, or something.

Point being I'd rather play a really good game twice than a free shit game once.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 21:00 
Bad Girl

I agree but I wouldn't know it was shit until I played it. Having played it, it's shit.

Why doesn't Hicks look like Hicks? Or sound like Hicks. Is it supposed to be Hicks?

Oh look, I've got to uncouple x number of X's. People who make FPS' need to get their fucking act together.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 22:14 
Bad Girl

What the fuck - was that the ending? Game over, man?

That was dreadful. It was like playing a PS2 game.

Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3