Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fallout 4
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 19:16 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
Sure, if you went out and cleared areas of ghouls/mutants etc then there isn't much backstory. However, if you delve deeper (read notes, read logs on computer terminals etc) then there is much more of a rich backstory there than I first thought.

No, there really isn't, at least not in the areas I've been to. I read everything I come across.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 19:39 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:
I had a really shitty session last night. I'm just following the missions that the Minute Man guy in Sanctuary is giving me plus following up on any radio signals I come across during my travels, and last night every single mission I tried out or location I explored saw me getting utterly murdered all to shit. My initial encounters with super-mutants went pretty well, partially due to me being flush with energy weapon ammo, but now I'm back to normal guns and getting my ass handed to me. Not helped by the fact I just keep stumbling into camps with many and varied super-mutant types (the fucking suicide bombers can get to fucking fuck) or even just loads of raiders wearing fucking power armour exo-skeletons! I'm not sure whether I just need to do something else to level up a bit or plough some (any!) time into weapon crafting or if this is just the game now, but either way it was a frustrating and not entirely enjoyable few hours. I'm also becoming pretty suspicious of the quality of the quests in general. Every single thing I've done now has been a very minor variant on 'go to location, shoot loads of people, instantly finish quest'. Even the one at Trinity Tower that saw me rescuing a guy had a thirty second conversation at the end to explain the backstory and that was it; there's no richness to the characters or interactions which is what really made the last two Fallout games. I really hope the main quest raises the level of this stuff or there's a serious danger of me getting bored.

The bad guys level up as you do. You need to mod your guns, buy better ones or hope you stumble across a good one somebody dropped. I struggled at the beginning, clearing places of Raiders when my best weapon was a pipe rifle that did 26 damage... First trip to a weapons bench and I walked away with a rifle that did something like 64 damage. Still not hugely impressive but so, so much better than what I had moments earlier. I then got the gun nut perk and now I can kill most things I come across before they kill me.

The boy has a shot gun that does 195 damage, he had to mod that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:01 
flis wrote:

The bad guys level up as you do. You need to mod your guns, buy better ones or hope you stumble across a good one somebody dropped. I struggled at the beginning, clearing places of Raiders when my best weapon was a pipe rifle that did 26 damage... First trip to a weapons bench and I walked away with a rifle that did something like 64 damage. Still not hugely impressive but so, so much better than what I had moments earlier. I then got the gun nut perk and now I can kill most things I come across before they kill me.

The boy has a shot gun that does 195 damage, he had to mod that.

There's certain areas where the raiders are always low levels, I'm up in the 40s now, but they're one shot kill on a raider, a legendary one is 2 or 3 there, the game kinda guides you along the way to places that are about your level I've found.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 14:04 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Stupid Brahmin.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 16:46 
Esoteric

Mmm, yummy scrummy cores.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 18:14 
Excellent Member

I killed a feral ghoul the other day and he had three fusion cores on him, which was unexpected.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:17 
Esoteric

Bamba wrote:
I killed a feral ghoul the other day and he had three fusion cores on him, which was unexpected.

Yeah it's not been uncommon for me to find four at once in a drawer or something.

Only read on once you have entered the institute !

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Well a day of happiness (I found my son) but a day of disappointment also. Firstly I had already guessed he would be older than me so that came as no surprise. However, finding out he was a complete dick and a liar made my piss boil so I decided to tell him to fuck off and went off with the BOS. The great part is I get to play with Prime again, yay ! I thought the Madison Li/ten years after FO3 thing really tied the two games together.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Okay, the settlement building in this is immense. Sanctuary now has a floating castle above it that's about the size of Megaton. I'm now desperately running around finding all the other settlements so I can satisfy my need for delicious, delicious steel.

It is a bit of a pain in the arse trying to work out which of your settlers does what, but actually the only thing you really need to have settlers assigned to is food (and later on, shops) so it's not a massive bother. I did also discover the handy town bell which brings all the settlers together making it easier to find one to send off on trade routes. I do wish they'd included a settler management screen that showed all the settlers and what they were assigned to, that would get rid of my one major bugbear.

Would also be nice if you could trash all the existing buildings too, clear some ground space.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 13:36 
JohnCoffey wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Yeah it's not been uncommon for me to find four at once in a drawer or something.

Only read on once you have entered the institute !

Well a day of happiness (I found my son) but a day of disappointment also. Firstly I had already guessed he would be older than me so that came as no surprise. However, finding out he was a complete dick and a liar made my piss boil so I decided to tell him to fuck off and went off with the BOS. The great part is I get to play with Prime again, yay ! I thought the Madison Li/ten years after FO3 thing really tied the two games together.

End game spoilers here JC!!!!!!!!! (But same side so read once you're done)
I finished the BoS questline last night and was awesome seeing Liberty Prime stomping through town taking out Behomoths out no bother. He just stomps around the airport now not saying anything :( I was sad that you had to take out the Railroad as I saw nothing wrong with them, even though they liked synths. Next time I think I might side with them instead as the BoS seemed more assholey than in other games, especially because of Maxson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 13:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Attachment:
krjqM8E.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 13:44 
Esoteric

Wow, your character has the most impressive hooter!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 13:44 
INFINITE POWAH

Charlie Sheen!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 16:22 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Give Piper a flame thrower and she immediately becomes an A1 certifiable crazy pyro girl. There! There's a thing! I'm gonna burn the thing! Then all the other things!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:59 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Quote:
Schramm says the company’s new strategy of officially announcing Fallout 4 after four years of development and then shipping it five months later

As strategies go, this seems like it has a rather limited lifetime.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 14:35 
Esoteric

Only read if you have completed the main story and seen the ending..

So what do I do now? The Brotherhood made some waffle about there still being lots to do but have now fallen silent. I sent Shaun to the truck stop and he never appeared. I went back to see Danse and told him to come with me but got messed up by the BOS so I guess that one's out. I had to reload a save game and do a load of stuff again because of that.

I also had an Eyebot (the first one I have seen) fly over telling me about a job and a marker was placed on my map.. Maybe I should try that out?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 14:36 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

How many hours in and what level are you, JC? Out of interest, purely wondering at what point you went through the main quest.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 16:06 
Esoteric

Cras wrote:
How many hours in and what level are you, JC? Out of interest, purely wondering at what point you went through the main quest.

Steam says 35 hours but I played it for about seven hours before I ran it on Steam (I installed it on Steam, then loaded my save game). So I would say about 42, possibly more.

However, do note that I probably "wasted" about ten hours doing never ending side quests. I did this for a few reasons, but mainly because A: they were sending me to new places so it got me exploring B: because I was tired of running out of ammo and stimpaks so I decided to scrounge C: I wanted more cells. Plus of course I was leveling up like a mad man, I'm currently at level 40.

I've seen others achieve the same in around 30 hours or so. I would have "gone in" sooner but whenever I tried I was always short of the right components and scrap.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 23:18 
I think I was about 60 or so hours when I finished the main quest. There's a few side quests I haven't done. Didn't do any of the institute stuff and very little of the railroad. The whole minutemen, this settlement needs help, this settlement needs the same help got a bit repetitive over time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 23:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I...oh for goodness' sake. Piper! Put that down! Right now!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 23:32 
I found Curie just picked up every single fucking thing she found on people. I found her with about 6 laser rifles for some reason and a shit tonne of shotguns and yet she still used her fists to take on Mirelurk Hunters.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 13:51 
INFINITE POWAH

Where does one find a Piper?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 13:51 
Gogmagog

Diamond city.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 13:53 
Gogmagog

I have a serrated combat knife now. This does bleeding damage. You can carve up a super mutant like a Christmas turkey with it. Raiders die in one hit to the head. A suicide super mutant came at me but the room it Butler took the nuke for me. Awesome stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 14:13 
Esoteric

Fear me, for I am !

The Silver Shroud !

hehehe this is a fantastic quest and it's lovely to see GNR back in business ! It kinda reminds me of the old Dashwood/Argyle thing :D

MaliA wrote:
I have a serrated combat knife now. This does bleeding damage. You can carve up a super mutant like a Christmas turkey with it. Raiders die in one hit to the head. A suicide super mutant came at me but the room it Butler took the nuke for me. Awesome stuff.

Have you not found/tried Grognak the Barbarian's axe yet? It's in the comic place along with his armor (if you could call it that lol). I wore the costume for ages.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 23:24 
Gogmagog

No. But I now have a sword!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:01 
UltraMod

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... -new-vegas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'd have been much more excited about modders making Fallout: New Vegas in the F1 engine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 13:01 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
I'd have been much more excited about modders making Fallout: New Vegas in the F1 engine.

You're weird. I tried playing FO1 recently and it was a complete pain in the arse.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 13:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Future Warrior wrote:
Cras wrote:

You're weird. I tried playing FO (any of them) recently and it was a complete pain in the arse.

FTFY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 13:14 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Future Warrior wrote:
Cras wrote:

You're weird. I tried playing FO1 recently and it was a complete pain in the arse.

OK, FO2 then, if only for the ability to shove your companions out of the way when they block you into a toilet cubicle.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 13:16 
Soopah red DS

Cras wrote:
OK, FO2 then, if only for the ability to shove your companions out of the way when they block you into a toilet cubicle.

The bleakness of this. I shed a tear for you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 22:34 
Gogmagog

I now eat people.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 0:34 
Excellent Member

Last week I came across this satellite array as part of a side quest I stumbled into, but there were three or four super mutants guarding the place and I got my ass kicked. After levelling up, upgrading my armour and guns and getting a sniper rifle I went back to take them on again. A well placed strike against the suicide bomber guy that killed me a lot the first time round took out him and about four bad guys standing around him. "Awesome," I thought, "that means there can't be many of them left!" Ahahahaha. There were a fucking shitload more of them lurking around the structure including a legendary guy with a fucking laser rifle who could shoot at me from miles away. Also, as if to really rub it in that I had no chance, one of them mutated right in front of me from a normal guy to a legendary guy then kicked the shit out me. I noped the fuck out and I'm not going back until I'm much further into the game. Fucksticks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 0:52 
INFINITE POWAH

I nuked that bug motherly fudger near the comic place..it was awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 0:57 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Bamba wrote:
Last week I came across this satellite array as part of a side quest I stumbled into, but there were three or four super mutants guarding the place and I got my ass kicked. After levelling up, upgrading my armour and guns and getting a sniper rifle I went back to take them on again. A well placed strike against the suicide bomber guy that killed me a lot the first time round took out him and about four bad guys standing around him. "Awesome," I thought, "that means there can't be many of them left!" Ahahahaha. There were a fucking shitload more of them lurking around the structure including a legendary guy with a fucking laser rifle who could shoot at me from miles away. Also, as if to really rub it in that I had no chance, one of them mutated right in front of me from a normal guy to a legendary guy then kicked the shit out me. I noped the fuck out and I'm not going back until I'm much further into the game. Fucksticks.

I took those guys out reasonably early on with a tricked out hunting rifle. I do find companions exceedingly useful for taking the hit from suiciders :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:34 
Rude Belittler

I was doing Nicks quest, which involves a lot of travelling between various places, when it all kicks off nearby. Lots of lasers flying around. Anyway, I leave the building I'm in, and a headless corpse flies about 30ft into the air and lands next to me, still spurting blood. I'm like, 'WTF!' then the Deathclaw thats fighting a couple of Brotherhood Paladins appears over the hillock where the poor body came from.

Anyone visited Vault 81? Quincy? The Museum of Witchcraft?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I've done 81

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:39 
Esoteric

Didn't know there was a Vault 81. Only other one I had discovered was 114.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 15:38 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Note to self - note which grenades you have equipped. Fighting a horde of ghouls, lobbed a frag over the back to thin them out a bit. Nothing happened - huh. Then there's a thin plume of smoke. Wait, what? I have smoke grenades? ....oh FUCK! RUN AWAY!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 17:14 
Esoteric

They're for calling in the cavalry, IIRC. Never worked for me, fucking BOS tossers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 17:22 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Nope, different grenades - and I avoided saying exactly what they do for spoilery reasons ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 18:56 

Cras wrote:
Note to self - note which grenades you have equipped. Fighting a horde of ghouls, lobbed a frag over the back to thin them out a bit. Nothing happened - huh. Then there's a thin plume of smoke. Wait, what? I have smoke grenades? ....oh FUCK! JUMP ON IT!!

FeEx.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 20:45 
Excellent Member

Cait likes to kill Supermutants with her bladed tire iron. She's hard as fuck, and crazy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Cait's crazy, and you know that, and that's fine. That's why I prefer Piper - because she's not crazy, she's perfectly pleasant and normal, and then she kicks the fuck off and sets fire to every son of a bitch in the room.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:02 
Excellent Member

My current partner is Strong, the super mutant. He won't use a fucking gun no matter how many I give him and he constantly moans when I'm not in a fight. Oh, and if I pick a lock 'Strong doesn't like that'. He's a dick, is what I'm saying.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:28 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Huh. I assumed there was a super mutant companion, because you could find armour for them, but (middle main question spoilers)

I assumed it would be Virgil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:37 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
Huh. I assumed there was a super mutant companion, because you could find armour for them, but (middle main question spoilers)

I assumed it would be Virgil

I've no idea what that means. I got mine (i.e my super mutant companion) by finishing a quest that began from following a distress signal, if that helps. It was a pish quest with very little setup and rubbish, rushed ending. I'm not impressed with F4 so far, if I'm honest.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I never really liked you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

See you in three weeks! :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:50 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
I never really liked you.

No one did, not really.

Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next