Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: iPad
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:18 
Where are you?

markg wrote:
I think Samsung have copied Apple a bit (although I think there's a big element of inevitability about the iPad "design") but I also think that this sort of thing should be allowed to an extent in order to allow other firms to make competing products that are obviously the right design for the purpose. Imagine if the original car firms were as big a bunch of cunty little sue-crazy fucknuts as Apple et al. We'd all have to just drive Fords or else buy cars with six wheels and no windows or something.

Not quite. I've veered off-topic in this thread (i.e. from the court case), but the point isn't about being inspired, but lifting everything wholesale. Cars have the same basic design, but you don't see everything from the body shape through to the marketing material and interface of a Ford taken from a rival, at least not without a court case following. There's a huge difference between what's going on with the Kindle and Surface to how Samsung's behaving. "No, it's an entire original idea, Mr Judge, sir."

GazChap wrote:
Aren't there a few cases where Samsung have blatantly copied icon designs from Apple? Not just recreating the general idea behind the icon, but literally pixel-copying?

Not quite, no. A few of those are a bit too close for comfort, though, I'd say. The icons on the store were far more bizarre.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:26 

Aah, this is what I was remembering. Not quite copying an iOS icon, but certainly plagiarising Apple icons.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:42 
Gogmagog

CraigGrannell wrote:
I've veered off-topic in this thread (i.e. from the court case), but the point isn't about being inspired, but lifting everything wholesale.

Which in the instant case, hasn't happened:

1) "The optimal design principles for tablet computers had been commonly understood for a long time",

2) "The front view of the Apple design takes its place amongst its kindred prior art. There is a clear family resemblance between the front of the Apple design and other members of that family (Flatron, Bloomberg 1 and 2, Ozolins, Showbox, Wacom)"

3) "The user who is particularly observant and is informed about the design corpus reacts to the Apple design by recognising the front view as one of a familiar type. From the front both the Apple design and the Samsung tablets look like members of the same, pre-existing family. As a result, the significance of that similarity overall is much reduced and the informed user's attention to the differences at the back and sides will be enhanced considerably."

4) "The overall impression produced is different."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

They really are quite different, like a Ford Mondeo is different from an Audi A6, say.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Lawyered.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 23:08 
Worst

Freaking hell. I was just comparing the Nexus 7 and iPad mini for potential Christmas fun times, and damn. Not only does Apple's site not want me to see the RAM apparently, but it turns out I wouldn't be able to sync it to my MacBook anyway:

Quote:
Syncing with iTunes on a Mac or PC requires:

Mac: OS X v10.6.8 or later

Thanks, bastards! Is Leopard that shit now?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 23:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It's 5 years old :shrug:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 23:18 
Excellent Member

throughsilver wrote:
Freaking hell. I was just comparing the Nexus 7 and iPad mini for potential Christmas fun times, and damn. Not only does Apple's site not want me to see the RAM apparently, but it turns out I wouldn't be able to sync it to my MacBook anyway:

Quote:

On one hand, Leopard is over five years old now. On the other hand though I'd have thought the syncing is more about the version of iTunes you're running than the OS so it's odd (i.e. shit) to tie the limitation directly to the version of OS X. Well, unless you can't run the current version of iTunes on Leopard or something?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 23:23 
Worst

Craster wrote:
It's 5 years old :shrug:

Indeed it is. I'm not a computer expert, so I don't know what the limitation of 10.5 is that would prevent such a thing. Is it just Apple locking a subset of users out/gently prodding us into upgrading OS?

Bamba wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

Quote:

On one hand, Leopard is over five years old now. On the other hand though I'd have thought the syncing is more about the version of iTunes you're running than the OS so it's odd (i.e. shit) to tie the limitation directly to the version of OS X. Well, unless you can't run the current version of iTunes on Leopard or something?

Pretty sure I have the latest iTunes.

It confuses me, I must admit. If I upgrade to iOS6, will my phone suddenly be too advanced to sync to my OSX, or is it a hardware thing?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 23:47 
Excellent Member

throughsilver wrote:

Are you sure? I only ask because a quick Google about compatibility threw up this very recent discussion thread which claims that you can't run the later versions of iTunes on Leopard and, as iOS6 requires iTunes 10.7, you're screwed unless you upgrade your OS.

Post subject: iPad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 0:18 
Awesome
Yes

Bamba wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

Are you sure? I only ask because a quick Google about compatibility threw up this very recent discussion thread which claims that you can't run the later versions of iTunes on Leopard and, as iOS6 requires iTunes 10.7, you're screwed unless you upgrade your OS.

A torrent of Snow Leopard and a £15 purchase of Mountain Lion and you're good to go though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 20:09 
Worst

Bamba wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

I'll have to check. My phone has suggested I upgrade iOS... so if I do, will my syncing go doolally?

They must have thought things through better than that, no?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 22:01 
Excellent Member

throughsilver wrote:
They must have thought things through better than that, no?

Well, not according to that discussion thread; though I personally have zero knowledge of Macs and their workings. It does sounds like your safest option is to bite the bullet and upgrade your OS X install.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:37 

I'm thinking of getting a new iPad. I've had my iPad 2 since not long after they were launched and it's done sterling service but it is starting to show its age a bit rendering some websites and running certain apps. I was going to sell it since I noticed they still go for nearly £200 however when I removed it from its case I found that there's a crack at one edge of the screen :'( so we'll probably just keep it.

Anyway, been looking at the current iPad Air and then reading rumours about the new one. Not sure whether to wait or not. Can somebody tell me what to do?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:47 
Master of dodgy spelling....

i have the air, I can recommend it

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:51 
Excellent Member

There is some stuff here but (all rumour) on what the new one might have

https://bgr.com/2014/08/04/ipad-air-2-ipad-6-rumors/

If you can get by with your Ipad 2 for now I would wait as they are saying there will be some button and microphone position changes as well as the usual that it will be 0.000001mm thinner that the last one :DD

I recently got an Air and found it was much improved in performance over a 3 on reading comics and other stuff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:56 
Gogmagog

The first three pages of this are quite the lols as to how wrong we all were.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:57 

asfish wrote:
There is some stuff here but (all rumour) on what the new one might have

https://bgr.com/2014/08/04/ipad-air-2-ipad-6-rumors/

If you can get by with your Ipad 2 for now I would wait as they are saying there will be some button and microphone position changes as well as the usual that it will be 0.000001mm thinner that the last one :DD

I recently got an Air and found it was much improved in performance over a 3 on reading comics and other stuff
Hnnghh, yeah, but new shiny order today for delivery tomorrow.

To sum up though, it'll be a little quicker and have a fingerprint sensor?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:04 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
Anyway, been looking at the current iPad Air and then reading rumours about the new one. Not sure whether to wait or not. Can somebody tell me what to do?

From a very quick Google it looks like November-ish when they refresh the line so if you can wait that long it's probably worth it. If, as it seems, you'd be buying it and just using it for years you might as well get the best one you can to get your money's worth.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:08 

The other thing of course is that current one can be had for £320 (I only need a 16GB WiFi) instead of the full RRP of £399, whereas there won't be any bargains to be had on the new one unless I wait for another year. So it's three months of waiting and another eighty quid for something that'll be very similar but a little quicker when even the current one should be night and day better than my iPad 2.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:09 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
The other thing of course is that current one can be had for £320 (I only need a 16GB WiFi) instead of the full RRP of £399, whereas there won't be any bargains to be had on the new one unless I wait for another year. So it's three months of waiting and another eighty quid for something that'll be very similar but a little quicker when even the current one should be night and day better than my iPad 2.

If price is a consideration though, presumably the current one will drop when the next one comes out so even that's potentially an argument for waiting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:18 

Maybe but then I'd be waiting three months to save another £20 or something. And then what would I do with myself tomorrow?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 13:12 

Went ahead and ordered it. I'll just completely ignore the hype around the new one when it comes out. Although knowing my luck it'll probably be able to make toast and give blow jobs or something.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 16:17 
Unpossible!

You don't want to mix those up...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 16:38 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
You don't want to mix those up...

You don't like blown toast?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 16:41 
ugvm'er at heart...

lacist.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:39 
Gogmagog

On R4 this morning I had a giggle when they said "..only a few years ago, Apple were in trouble. Their only product was the Apple Mac and you had to be a bit odd to want one of them.. "

So, a billion quid a week profit. Crikey. Records broken.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:00 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
On R4 this morning I had a giggle when they said "..only a few years ago, Apple were in trouble. Their only product was the Apple Mac and you had to be a bit odd to want one of them.. "

So, a billion quid a week profit. Crikey. Records broken.

The new iPhones are very impressive. The new iPads feels like they're resigned to the phablet market consuming tablets completely.

The Watch will fly off shelves, obviously.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:15 

I bought an iPhone 6+ last Wednesday, had it delivered on Thursday. Returned it on Monday.

</craig_david>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Here's a question though - where's the money actually coming from? The first world hit saturation in 'everyone has a smartphone' a while back, and the third world don't buy iPhones. Market stats don't suggest that everyone is ditching their current phones for an iPhone. So they will be making a massive whack in turnover of old phones for new, but that should have been fairly constant for a few years at least. So what's doing it? iTunes? iPad sales probably haven't hit saturation point, sure. So I can see apple making a solid profit, but these numbers?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:23 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
iPad sales probably haven't hit saturation point, sure.

Tablet sales are plummeting in general - the iPad is not immune to this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:47 
Gogmagog

Future Warrior wrote:
Cras wrote:
iPad sales probably haven't hit saturation point, sure.

Tablet sales are plummeting in general - the iPad is not immune to this.

https://twitter.com/BBCRoryCJ/status/56 ... 77472?s=09

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:29 
Unpossible!

The first page of this thread is hilarious.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:36 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:

I think you'll find I backed it from the get-go.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:39 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
Here's a question though - where's the money actually coming from? The first world hit saturation in 'everyone has a smartphone' a while back, and the third world don't buy iPhones. Market stats don't suggest that everyone is ditching their current phones for an iPhone. So they will be making a massive whack in turnover of old phones for new, but that should have been fairly constant for a few years at least. So what's doing it? iTunes? iPad sales probably haven't hit saturation point, sure. So I can see apple making a solid profit, but these numbers?

I would guess a lot of people held off updating phones that were out of contract so they could get the 6?

People are saying it was record demand for the new IPhone, the last 2 quarters profits were around $ 8 Billion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Future Warrior wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Future Warrior wrote:
I'm not sure I see the point of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:45 
UltraMod

You can prove anything with historical records of fact.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:45 
Unpossible!

Cras wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Future Warrior wrote:
I'm not sure I see the point of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:57 

Cras wrote:
Here's a question though - where's the money actually coming from? The first world hit saturation in 'everyone has a smartphone' a while back,
But everyone's replacing them every two years, so saturation still looks like big sales, not no sales.

Quote:
and the third world don't buy iPhones.
Apple sold a fuckton in China, almost as many as the US according to some analysts. And the larger screened iPhones have unlocked parts of the market in places like Korea who wouldn't previously have considered iPhones.

Quote:
Market stats don't suggest that everyone is ditching their current phones for an iPhone.
It's all iPhones. iPad is down, seemingly because tablets are on a 3-5 year replacement cycle which is curbing growth.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:58 
Unpossible!

Wait, I'm not really paying attention. Are they claiming to have sold 74.5m iphones since January 1st?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 13:00 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
Wait, I'm not really paying attention. Are they claiming to have sold 74.5m iphones since January 1st?

It's the last three months isn't it? Since the 6/6+ were released.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 14:33 
I forgot about this - how vain

Dr Lave wrote:
LewieP wrote:
GazChap wrote:
No multitasking is gonna fuck students right over. Want to take notes while looking up things on Wikipedia? Tough shit, son!

That's why you get one of these in addition to an iPhone. One device per task.

Multitasking I genuinely don't miss on the iPhone. Apps do their purposes and it takes a negligible time to load any one. Dropping out of twittie and into another app takes neglibly more time than minimising and maximising a window. Of course that argument goes out the window if the instant starts of the iPhone go missing with the iPad.

What I do miss massively is backgrounding processes. I want tiny tasks that can be set in the background. Things like androids 'locate' and so on.

That said, I would rather a quick mono-task device than a sluggish multitasker.

Oooh, just thought, a central app like OS X's 'Growl' that runs in the background. Apps can send requests for context/location/event circumstance to cause something to happen and growl runs to take care of them. That would be the best of both worlds.

This is from page 2. Where's my 6 figure salary to be an analyst or something!?

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 17:49 

DavPaz wrote:
It's 1Q15 of Apple's financial year, which started in the fourth week of September 2014. And it's not "claiming" as this came from an SEC financial filing; lying on that sends you directly to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect £200. It'll be an accurate figure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 17:57 
Unpossible!

That's a lot of phones.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 18:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
And it's not "claiming" as this came from an SEC financial filing

Well, it is.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 18:41 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm sure no company has ever lied on their filings to the government before :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 0:52 

Sure, Apple has lied loads on its SEC filings.

[citation needed]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:06 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It's 1Q15 of Apple's financial year, which started in the fourth week of September 2014.

What in the actual fuck?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:38 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It's 1Q15 of Apple's financial year, which started in the fourth week of September 2014.

What in the actual fuck?

They dance to their own tune.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:45 

It'll doubtless be related to some sort of tax dodging douchebaggery. If they didn't pay cut rate taxes in Ireland would they still have broken the records?

Reply to topic  [ 2178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next