Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 568 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gamersgate
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 0:19 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
If you found it controversial, how could it not be controversial?

I don't think you understand what controversy is.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 0:43 
Excellent Member

Ooh! Ooh! Wait, can I do one? I've never tried making a meme image before!

(Invasion Bodysnatchers 1974 spoiler alert)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Attachment:
invasionethics.jpg

Have I got it right, kids?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 0:44 

I'm putting that on my Tumblr were I collect these things. So, yes!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:01 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Ooh, linky!

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:51 
ugvm'er at heart...

That "walking round new York for 10 hours" video. We've all seen it, yes?

One on hand there are some seriously creepy guys in it, on the other hand she mentions over 100 incidents, so I expect the video to highlight the worst of them. A couple of them are guys who say "hi"...
It's a tragedy that in this day and age, saying hello is harassment.

On one hand she dresses normal so as to not attract attention, on the other hand her idea of normal and unattractive is skin tight clothing.
I think that says a lot about societal norms and expectations regardless of gender.

I don't think her video is as powerful as it could have been if she had done it differently. I'd like to see her doing the same video again, but with all the interactions shown and her wearing actual unattractive clothing, and see what the results are.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:54 

NervousPete wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Ooh, linky!

http://itsaboutethicsingamesjournalism.tumblr.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:55 
Sleepyhead

Trooper wrote:

One on hand there are some seriously creepy guys in it, on the other hand she mentions over 100 incidents, so I expect the video to highlight the worst of them. A couple of them are guys who say "hi"...

On one hand she dresses normal so as to not attract attention, on the other hand her idea of normal and unattractive is skin tight clothing.
I think that says a lot about societal norms and expectations regardless of gender.

I don't think her video is as powerful as it could have been if she had done it differently. I'd like to see her doing the same video again, but with all the interactions shown and her wearing actual unattractive clothing, and see what the results are.

Surely it shouldn't even matter what she's wearing?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:02 
ugvm'er at heart...

Curiosity wrote:
Trooper wrote:

In day to day life I agree. If you are making a video to prove that harassment happens if you wear unattractive clothing, then you should probably wear unattractive clothing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:22 
UltraMod

Trooper wrote:

Yep, my advice is not to talk to strange women at all in the street. If you're walking close behind someone at night, either cross the road or slow down so you're further away. You might not think you're threatening at all, but street harassment is so endemic that women basically have to on the defensive all the time. Imagine you've been attacked by a homeless guy before - not all homeless guys who come up and ask for money are going to do that, but you'll put your guard up as that's an experience you've had before.

This video was shot for nefarious reasons anyway and should be ignored. The director cut out all the white men so he could push his agenda of gentrification for the area.

https://storify.com/Aut_Omnia/why-you-s ... re-the-nyc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:26 
ugvm'er at heart...

American Nervoso wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Yep, my advice is not to talk to strange women at all in the street. If you're walking close behind someone at night, either cross the road or slow down so you're further away.

I do that anyway, and always have done. More out of a sense of awkwardness than thinking i'm threatening :D

Interesting background on the video, I hadn't seen that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:34 

American Nervoso wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Assuming you're referring to a comment earlier in the thread then what do you understand it to be? Just because something shouldn't be controversial doesn't mean that it isn't. Like for instance global warming or evolution. If something causes widespread debate then it's controversial isn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:43 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Assuming you're referring to a comment earlier in the thread then what do you understand it to be? Just because something shouldn't be controversial doesn't mean that it isn't. Like for instance global warming or evolution. If something causes widespread debate then it's controversial isn't it?
Yep, completely agree. However, I'm not sure how widespread the GG position is on inclusive gaming, is my point.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:45 
Isn't that lovely?

Isn't it a bit like finding something rude or offensive?

If one person finds something rude, but a million other people don't think it's rude, then is it rude? What about if 10 people find it rude? 100? 1,000? etc.

How many people have to think something is controversial before it is? Or maybe a better thing to ask would be how many people have to disagree to make the "contra" bit true?

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:49 
Awesome
Yes

American Nervoso wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Yep, my advice is not to talk to strange women at all in the street. If you're walking close behind someone at night, either cross the road or slow down so you're further away. You might not think you're threatening at all, but street harassment is so endemic that women basically have to on the defensive all the time.

Or... speed up to keep pace with them, then they break into a run, and so do you, running faster and faster behind them keeping up, never overtaking until it's a full sprint to their door and they're screaming and fumbling for their keys and then you say "Wait, what are we running from?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:08 
Unpossible!

Hang on Myp, are you trying to imply that Sarkeesian *isn't* controversial?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:16 

Malc wrote:
Isn't it a bit like finding something rude or offensive?

If one person finds something rude, but a million other people don't think it's rude, then is it rude? What about if 10 people find it rude? 100? 1,000? etc.

How many people have to think something is controversial before it is? Or maybe a better thing to ask would be how many people have to disagree to make the "contra" bit true?

Malc

The point is, you can't "find something controversial", it is not a matter of opinion. Either a significant number of people disagree about something (creating a controversy), or they don't.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:17 

American Nervoso wrote:
markg wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Yep, completely agree. However, I'm not sure how widespread the GG position is on inclusive gaming, is my point.

Well I suppose the controversial opinion is the one that goes against the mainstream. In this case I'd have thought that the feminist writers were the ones who have somewhat found themselves pissing in the wind within the "gaming community".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

There doesn't have to be a large number of people - one will do it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:24 

Grim... wrote:
There doesn't have to be a large number of people - one will do it.

I suppose I could say a "significant number of people, or a number of significant people".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:40 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Trooper wrote:

In day to day life I agree. If you are making a video to prove that harassment happens if you wear unattractive clothing, then you should probably wear unattractive clothing.

Did she say she was wearing unattractive clothing? She just said jeans and t-shirt didn't she? Which is what she is wearing. It's completely androgynous; black skinny jeans and a black t-shirt is basically what anyone wears. She's all in black too, and a crew neck, so isn't drawing attention to or highlighting her boobs.

You shouldn't have to dress purposefully unattractive just to walk down the street without being harassed. She isn't looking anywhere except the ground a few metres ahead of her. Even if a you made eye contact with someone in a city, you'd think it was weird if they said hi.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:44 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:

Why do you think she is?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:45 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
markg wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Well I suppose the controversial opinion is the one that goes against the mainstream. In this case I'd have thought that the feminist writers were the ones who have somewhat found themselves pissing in the wind within the "gaming community".

Except the whole point of it is that now gaming is in the mainstream, it should be inclusive. The so-called "gaming community" is the vocal minority of GG. They do not speak for the majority of people who enjoy games.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:50 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I follow the BBc on Facebook and they did an interview with Zoe Quinn, some of the comments were vile!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:07 
Unpossible!

American Nervoso wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Why do you think she is?

Because she's a deliberately and gleefully antagonistic person who knows that her opinions are unpopular with a large portion of society.

Now you go.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:09 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Why do you think she is?

Because she's a deliberately and gleefully antagonistic person who knows that her opinions are unpopular with a large portion of society.

Now you go.

You're going to have to back up this wild statement before I bite, I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:09 
ugvm'er at heart...

flis wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Did she say she was wearing unattractive clothing? She just said jeans and t-shirt didn't she? Which is what she is wearing. It's completely androgynous; black skinny jeans and a black t-shirt is basically what anyone wears. She's all in black too, and a crew neck, so isn't drawing attention to or highlighting her boobs.

You shouldn't have to dress purposefully unattractive just to walk down the street without being harassed. She isn't looking anywhere except the ground a few metres ahead of her. Even if a you made eye contact with someone in a city, you'd think it was weird if they said hi.

This is kind of my point. She is wearing skin tight jeans and and skin tight t-shirt. It is drawing attention to her figure. I'm not arguing that she should be harassed because of that, she absolutely, categorically shouldn't be. i'm saying that if your point behind the video is that even if you dress to be unattractive then you get harassed (which is what I understood the point to be), then to make your point effectively, you shouldn't dress in a way that is attractive, otherwise the video isn't as effective as it could be.
I agree that it is normal clothing for people to wear. I find it interesting that the outfit she is wearing would have been deemed scandalous a couple of generations ago, yet now is supposed to be seen as androgynous. The normality of female sexualisation these days is pervasive, such that normal everyday clothes for a woman are skin tight...

The fact that it is weird for someone to say "hi" in a city, is awful, regardless of who you are. That is the one thing I miss from living up north, having a conversation with someone on the metro, or saying hello to people in the street, just because they are people and it's nice to be social.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:11 
Unpossible!

American Nervoso wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Why do you think she is?

Now you go.

Never mind then.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:13 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Trooper wrote:

I need a baseline study of a man walking around these areas to see how many "hellos" he gets, before I can get too angered about a hello. Obviously the cat calls and the other stuff are wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:18 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Why do you think she is?

Now you go.

Never mind then.

So you either have no proof of this, or you were playing devil's advocate. Helpful.

I'll help you a bit. Anita Sarkeesian has been blogging about feminist issues in popular culture for a while now (not just games, but TV, movies and comic books also). No other 'subculture' has reacted this way. From what I've seen I can't see how she's been antagonising a large portion of society, because a) whether you agree with what she says or not, she's within her rights to start a debate on the topic, and b) it isn't a large portion of society - it's a vocal minority.

Even if she were being deliberately antagonistic, this is one woman's opinion. Why are GG so scared of her they have to target her with death and rape threats -why not just ignore her? GG have pretty much made her famous at this point.

The most telling thing is that instead of condemning this behaviour of fringe lunatics like any normal people would, GGers just shout, "It's not us! You can't prove anything!"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:18 
UltraMod

Bobbyaro wrote:
Trooper wrote:

I need a baseline study of a man walking around these areas to see how many "hellos" he gets, before I can get too angered about a hello. Obviously the cat calls and the other stuff are wrong.

No one talks to other people in the street in New York unless they want something.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:19 
Unpossible!

Quote:
So you either have no proof of this, or you were playing devil's advocate. Helpful.

I'll help you a bit. Anita Sarkeesian has been blogging about feminist issues in popular culture for a while now (not just games, but TV, movies and comic books also). No other 'subculture' has reacted this way. From what I've seen I can't see how she's been antagonising a large portion of society, because a) whether you agree with what she says or not, she's within her rights to start a debate on the topic, and b) it isn't a large portion of society - it's a vocal minority.

Even if she were being deliberately antagonistic, this is one woman's opinion. Why are GG so scared of her they have to target her with death and rape threats -why not just ignore her? GG have pretty much made her famous at this point.

The most telling thing is that instead of condemning this behaviour of fringe lunatics like any normal people would, GGers just shout, "It's not us! You can't prove anything!"

Thanks. Now, you go.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:20 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

American Nervoso wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:
Trooper wrote:

No one talks to other people in the street in New York unless they want something.

American Nervoso wrote:

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:21 
UltraMod

Slightly Green wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:

Have you never been to a big city then? I was in New York quite recently. It's not like a small village where everyone knows each other and says hi all the time. Even as a man if a stranger said hello to me in certain areas of NYC, I'd go on the defensive and feel a bit threatened. As a woman, the threshold for that is lower.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:23 
Unpossible!

I was racially abused in New York.

"I fucking hate white people!" was shouted to me and the missus as we ate breakfast in a nice Midtown Park.

It was weird.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:25 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:

"I fucking hate white people!" was shouted to me and the missus as we ate breakfast in a nice Midtown Park.

It was weird.

But your privilege carried you through it, I expect.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:26 
Unpossible!

American Nervoso wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

It was weird.

After I'd checked it.

Did I do that right?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:27 
ugvm'er at heart...

American Nervoso wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

It was weird.

If it was New York, I suspect it was a Crown Vic.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:29 
Bad Girl

10 hours walking in Skyrim as a woman.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:33 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

American Nervoso wrote:
Slightly Green wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:

Have you never been to a big city then? I was in New York quite recently. It's not like a small village where everyone knows each other and says hi all the time. Even as a man if a stranger said hello to me in certain areas of NYC, I'd go on the defensive and feel a bit threatened. As a woman, the threshold for that is lower.

Fair play, yes I have been to big cities, used to live in London, I started off as one of those yokels who tried to talk to people on the tube, fuck me did I stop quickly.

When I lived in docklands I came home one night to 5 Yardie's holding another guy over the bonnet of a car with a gun to his head outside my flat, had a sharp turn around, called the police and went to the pub. That will teach me for living in docklands. Also a few months before that I was accosted by a group of 6-7 teens, was fucking terrified at the time but managed to talk my way out of that one. Both of those changed my view on city life drastically, hence me now living out in fake suntan land (essex). Ohh and just for the record I wasn't wearing tight clothes for either of those incidents.

Was just quoting you to be a snarky bastard ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:34 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Saturnalian wrote:

Link doesn't seem to be working

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:40 
Bad Girl

Slightly Green wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

How's that?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:45 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Saturnalian wrote:
Slightly Green wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

How's that?

Bastard :DD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Saturnalian wrote:

That's really well done, apart from the choice to dress her so differently.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:11 
Legendary Boogeyman

Trooper wrote:
The fact that it is weird for someone to say "hi" in a city, is awful, regardless of who you are. That is the one thing I miss from living up north, having a conversation with someone on the metro, or saying hello to people in the street, just because they are people and it's nice to be social.

I watched this video and I think I saw only two instances that I thought could be considered harassment, where one guy shouts after her for not replying and another walks along side her for ages, which is fucking creepy. 10 hours of walking through a massive city, I'd expect a couple of dodgy approaches from the sheer variance of humanity you find in such a place.

A quick, one off 'Hi how are you', or 'Hello beautiful', or 'You have a nice day', isn't harassment. It might be unwelcome, but harassment requires more than saying hello to someone. These examples only show people who say one inoffensive thing as a person passes by.

Now, you can insist they're only saying it because 'they want something', but that's a completely unsupported statement as they seldom say anything else after she passes. Whatever you'er alleging they wanted, they weren't trying very hard. A lot of the unwanted attention could probably have been shut down by saying 'No thank you, goodbye' rather than being expressionless and mute. Cue OMG WHY SHOULD SHE HAVE TO EVEN DO THAT outrage.

The 'I've been to a big city and therefore I am the authority on this being harassment' attitude can fuck right off.

Excellent parody #2: http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/8aeb78 ... c-as-a-man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:15 
Legendary Boogeyman

American Nervoso wrote:
As a woman, the threshold for that is lower.

What a patently ridiculous thing to say. As well as being a generalisation, it presumes that women are frightened and weak by default of their sex have no capacity for dealing with a stranger saying 'hello' to them, whereas a man can cope with it much better?

You're a weird brand of feminist apologist, with the typical flip-flopping of logic to suit whatever point you're trying to make at the time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:35 

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:

What a patently ridiculous thing to say. As well as being a generalisation, it presumes that women are frightened and weak by default of their sex have no capacity for dealing with a stranger saying 'hello' to them, whereas a man can cope with it much better?

You're a weird brand of feminist apologist, with the typical flip-flopping of logic to suit whatever point you're trying to make at the time.

It comes down to fear of further consequences. The probability of being followed, overpowered and raped is (far) greater for women that for men. A quick google suggests that American women have a rather shocking 25% chance of being raped during their lifetime (I haven't done a thorough fact check, mind you). Imagine you are approached every 5 minutes in the street, and each and every time you have to consider if "this is the one". Men don't have to deal with this to nearly the same degree.

I was able to understand this from reading the posts here and following the relevant links, so there is no flip-flopping going on.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

lasermink wrote:
A quick google suggests that American women have a rather shocking 25% chance of being raped during their lifetime (I haven't done a thorough fact check, mind you).

Dear God, I hope that's not right.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:39 
Master of dodgy spelling....

lasermink wrote:
ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:

It comes down to fear of further consequences. The probability of being followed, overpowered and raped is (far) greater for women that for men. A quick google suggests that American women have a rather shocking 25% chance of being raped during their lifetime (I haven't done a thorough fact check, mind you). Imagine you are approached every 5 minutes in the street, and each and every time you have to consider if "this is the one". Men don't have to deal with this to nearly the same degree.

I was able to understand this from reading the posts here and following the relevant links, so there is no flip-flopping going on.

I know a few girls that have been raped, so in my perception that is quite high.

EBG every time you type in this thread, you come across as rather unpleasant.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

KovacsC wrote:
I know a few girls that have been raped, not pleasent.

In fairness, they were perhaps nicer before it happened.

I'm sorry, that's a terrible thing to joke about. I have finger torrents.

[edit]Leaving the typo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:41 
Legendary Boogeyman

lasermink wrote:
each and every time you have to consider if "this is the one".

What? No they don't, because the probability of being raped on a busy street as a result of someone saying 'hello' to you is non-existent. You're merely presenting a non-representative argument because you think that supports your 'women are in constant peril' narrative.

Women will be understandably wary if a dodgy person approaches them, as would any man, but to say that 'women' have a lower threshold for becoming fearful is fucking nonsense.

Kovacs, rest assured I don't care how I come across. I'm responding to what I consider to be unpleasant opinions.

Reply to topic  [ 568 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next