Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 568 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gamersgate
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:36 
Legendary Boogeyman

Curiosity wrote:
There's no attempt to separate the two and form a distinct anti-fuckwit branch, because then the 'reasonable' types have to engage with people who aren't already terrified or oppressed.

This is the problem in a polarising argument. One side will use a pretext to utterly blacken the other and use that foundation to invalidate all ongoing arguments made by them. If the opposing side then attempts to factionalise over points of disagreement, their cause is further neutralised because there have no contiguously-united front of support.

I don't really give a diddly fuck if the accusations are true, not least because it wouldn't be the first time that some form of back-room dealings have been used to promote or alter the public perception of a product. It would be naive to think that this doesn't go on all the time in ways that aren't readily obvious to overly-obsessed gamers online. But the social dynamics of warring groups on the internet remains fascinating, if not a little tired and obvious in their tactics.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:39 
Legendary Boogeyman

Incidentally - a person makes a post and gets 'doxxed' by an individual dickhead, and the outraged world is happy to condemn the whole movement. Is this so radically different from extremist muslims giving the rest of them a bad name? People go to great lengths to point out how an individual action that alleges support to a given ideology is NOT representative.

The court of public opinion is just so self-evidently hypocritical when applying its logic on who to righteously damn in these situations.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:43 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:47 
Excellent Member

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
Incidentally - a person makes a post and gets 'doxxed' by an individual dickhead, and the outraged world is happy to condemn the whole movement. Is this so radically different from extremist muslims giving the rest of them a bad name? People go to great lengths to point out how an individual action that alleges support from a given ideology is NOT representative.

The court of public opinion is just so self-evidently hypocritical when applying its logic on who to righteously damn in this situations.

You're comparing a centuries old worldwide religion to a group of arseholes who voluntarily rallied round a label that was tainted from day one (and where 'day one' was a few weeks ago). If you can't see those are two wildly different contexts then I really don't know what to say to you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:48 
Legendary Boogeyman

American Nervoso wrote:
but didn't the aforementioned female dev admit to having sexy-time with pretty much everyone involved but was also unapologetic about it?

Nope, nothing even remotely like that happened. I suggest you do some reading before propagating further nonsense.

So I've looked back at this thread and from Gaywood's earlier post it seems that yes, she did undisputedly sleep with a variety of people, but that those same people (i.e. those allegedly involved) did not have the influence or direct correlations to the disputed reviews/promotion that was claimed.

So something 'remotely like this' did actually happen. Great contribution to the thread there myp.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

individual dickhead

It's an en masse, organised process. Reams upon reams of IRC chats and forum discussions have been made publically available showing just how much organisation and planning, and how many people are involved in all of these attacks. They aren't one off. It's a large organised group deliberately attacking anyone who speaks out against them or what they are doing. They're targetting media outlets and women who dare to speak out in horrific and vile ways. Calling it an 'warring groups on the internet' is papering over a group of people using vile, illegal tactics and another group of people being reasonably horrified about what's happening.

It's nothing like extremists giving Muslims a bad name. A better parallel would be extremists giving ISIS a bad name. There will be some members of ISIS who are part of it because they believe in political change in the region. By willingly associating themselves with those who use violence and murder, they are not a maligned group, they are idiots.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:52 
Legendary Boogeyman

Bamba wrote:
You're comparing a centuries old worldwide religion to a group of arseholes who voluntarily rallied round a label that was tainted from day one (and where 'day one' was a few weeks ago). If you can't see those are two wildly different contexts then I really don't know what to say to you.

Different context, exact same principle. Whether it's an old religion or a recent collective of gamers, the notion of not tarring them all with the same brush over the extreme actions of a few is inconsistently applied. There are plenty of 'gamergaters' that are trying to uphold a perfectly legitimate view that in no way is associated with the constant accusations of misogyny.

I don't need to be sympathetic with either group to point out how that's precisely the case, and that even if you disagree with the 'group of arseholes', you should recognise that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:58 
UltraMod

So something 'remotely like this' did actually happen. Great contribution to the thread there myp.

No, dickhead, it did not. Read this, you complete goon:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/ ... -Spotlight

Quote:
Zoe Quinn’s sex life is not the story here. While the accusation that Quinn’s relationship with Kotaku writer Nathan Grayson may have started this discussion about journalistic ethics and transparency, the fact is that Nathan Grayson never reviewed Quinn’s game, Depression Quest,

She had a sexual relationship with someone who didn't review her game. The game that she was giving away for free. If this is all about ethics, why was the (female) dev the subject of harrassment, and not the journalist?

Because misogyny, that's why. Gamergate is fucking toxic - as a movement they are basically terrorists at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:59 
Legendary Boogeyman

Cras wrote:
It's nothing like extremists giving Muslims a bad name. A better parallel would be extremists giving ISIS a bad name.

Only because that's how you want to represent the narrative here, because you would prefer to believe that all members of the group are unequivocally evil and any alignment with them is inarguably condemning. I'm sure many refuse to identify with the doxxing/harassment tactics described, and actually do want to give a legitimate voice over the impartiality of games journalism.

Sure, those people would definitely be better off ditching the gamegate tag, except it's clear that any new tag they try to go under for legitimacy will instantly be conflated with gamegate by their detractors, and they'll be back having the same problem of struggling with credibility as before.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:59 
UltraMod

I can ignore your ill-informed drivel on most subjects, but not this one, I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:01 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:

Different context, exact same principle. Whether it's an old religion or a recent collective of gamers, the notion of not tarring them all with the same brush over the extreme actions of a few is inconsistently applied. There are plenty of 'gamergaters' that are trying to uphold a perfectly legitimate view that in no way is associated with the constant accusations of misogyny.

I don't need to be sympathetic with either group to point out how that's precisely the case, and that even if you disagree with the 'group of arseholes', you should recognise that.

Gamersgate was poisonous toxic twaddle from the start; it was stillborn as sexist shite and anyone who's rallied to it has no one to blame but themselves for the activities they're now associated with. You don't get a free pass for being too stupid to realise that. And you certainly don't get a free pass for refusing to accept it now that it's completely clear.

The (still utterly terrible) comparison would be if Islam's entire founding principle was that murder is awesome and beating people up for fun is a-OK; but that we should be nice to animals. At that point if you chose Islam then you're an idiot, no matter how much you like animals. And the reason it's a terrible comparison is because religions can't be chosen as easily as hashtags and I'm aware as I type this that we'll end up down a rabbit hole of trying to make Islam and Gamersgate look the same/different just because I've even stupidly addressed this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:02 
Legendary Boogeyman

American Nervoso wrote:
Because misogyny, that's why.

Like I said, I don't really care about the truth concerning the subjects of the debate, but as an observer it's fucking hilarious to me how that exact phrase has been rolled out as a catch-all counter-argument against anyone who speaks against it, legitimately or otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:04 
UltraMod

American Nervoso wrote:

Like I said, I don't really care about the truth concerning the subjects of the debate

Then kindly fuck off.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:06 
UltraMod

Quote:
but didn't the aforementioned female dev admit to having sexy-time with pretty much everyone involved but was also unapologetic about it?

Quote:
I don't really care about the truth concerning the subjects of the debate

What an idiot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:08 
Legendary Boogeyman

American Nervoso wrote:
I can ignore your ill-informed drivel on most subjects, but not this one, I'm afraid.

I'm amazed at your inability to read words on a screen, because my posts have been extremely clear.

Now, having said from the start I haven't followed this too closely, I asked the board a question. You reply to tell me to stop propagating nonsense, which is manifestly not what I was doing.

I then refer back to the earlier posts which confirm what I was asking, that, as I was vaguely aware, this girl did indeed sleep with the people that she was accused of sleeping with. That's much less interesting than the fact that the alleged connections between those people and the influence they were supposed to have had on her game's promotion did not exist. So it's actually what you said about 'nothing like that remotely happening' was the absolute nonsense.

You're the fucking idiot here.

Unpossible!

Would it be remiss of me to admit that I don't have the slightest idea what any of this is about?

Excellent Member

American Nervoso wrote:

Like I said, I don't really care about the truth concerning the subjects of the debate, but as an observer it's fucking hilarious to me how that exact phrase has been rolled out as a catch-all counter-argument against anyone who speaks against it, legitimately or otherwise.

And your argument here is similarly used to whitewash over genuine misogyny (as in myp's very example). It's the reason the term SJW even exists, as a way to glibly write off accusations as coming from a source that's either hysterical/over-sensitive or just shouting baseless accusations to look like a good guy.

There's nothing hilarious about any of it, it's all just depressing as shit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:16 
Excellent Member

I find the whole thing a bit annoying and tiresome. And even more so because you can't even ask what the F is going on because one side refuse to expend on what GG is, based on the fact that nothing they say or believe is relevant because they're just bullying misogynists... And the other side does the same except using the word feminist.

The understanding I have of it, from the limited time I've spent trying to understand what's going on, is:

Zoe Quinn cheated on her boyfriend. He got pissed off and put all kinds of things about her online, in a big rambling "Jeez, this guy is crazy..." kind of way. Zoe Quinn made a "game" that caused controversy because certain 'members of the gaming community' didn't believe it was a game in the traditional sense of a game - whatever that is. Her boyfriend, amongst his ramblings, said she'd slept with a games journalist. Her detractors picked up on this and turned it into "Her game only got positive reviews because she sleeps with journalists." Outrageous and unethical. Except... she slept with one journalist, who didn't actually review her game but did mention her in an article before they ever got involved.

Somehow, all of that spiralled into women in the industry sleeping around to get good reviews and jobs, and how unfair it was because women are always saying they can't get ahead in the industry because of sexism, yet they were using their sexuality to get ahead.

Then it started nasty; if you commented and you were a woman, you got threatened with rape or worse. It has become ridiculous and now it seems no-one can have a valid opinion on it without shit-slinging from either side.

The whole ethical issue of games journalism has been lost in a tirade of abuse, threats and trying to ruin peoples lives. One the other hand, there seem to be people who decry any comment against what they say as sexist. The extremes swing in both directions and are unhelpful. Anyone trying to salvage what is left of GG are basically trying to bail out the Titanic at this point, it's misguided at best that they believe any of what it was supposed to stand for hasn't been burned to the ground by idiots. The wrong people are being targeted, the wrong questions asked. The gaming industry is a multi-billion dollar industry; there are more hands being held out waiting to receive gifts and money in exchange for ethics and integrity than there will ever be women's legs open for the same. Not least because as a female in male a dominated industries, that is the last thing you are willing to compromise. That doesn't mean you won't have relationships with people because that will happen, men and women are generally attracted to each other...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:17 
Legendary Boogeyman

Bamba wrote:
The (still utterly terrible) comparison would be if Islam's entire founding principle was that murder is awesome and beating people up for fun is a-OK; but that we should be nice to animals. At that point if you chose Islam then you're an idiot, no matter how much you like animals. And the reason it's a terrible comparison is because religions can't be chosen as easily as hashtags and I'm aware as I type this that we'll end up down a rabbit hole of trying to make Islam and Gamersgate look the same/different just because I've even stupidly addressed this.

Have you read what Islam says about things like apostasy? Religion is almost entirely about self-selection against a larger ideology. What you believe is cherry-picked or applied with a variety of adherence to principles that are either abhorrent or unacceptable in the modern world.

I think it's Dawkins that talks about the general disingenuity of those who claim to follow Islam but leave out the bits they don't like. I actually have no problem with people doing that if they want, but someone else could come along and say, with plenty of evidence, that Islam is a violent religion and that anyone subscribing to any form of it is clearly a supporter of the very worst of it.

That's basically what you're saying here.

I'm not supporting, or contesting any of the accusations made against these people harassing and doxxing people online - that speaks for itself. It's pathetic, and sad, and they really need to find a much better use of their life - so no whitewashing here. I'm merely separating out of the tenancy of the opposing hivemind to simplistically declare the other side as pure evil without conceding any room for granularity at all. That's just... fucking stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:18 
UltraMod

If Zoe Quinn (not a journalist) was a man, the accusations would not have been made.
If Randi Harper (not a journalist) were a man, GGers would not be doubting her ability in tech or gaming EVERY SINGLE DAY.

If it's about ethics, why are they targeting indie devs and tech activists? Because it's not, it's about women.

Chris Kluwe calls out GamerGate all day yesterday very aggressively - no dox
Felicia Day writes a sad blog post anti-GG - doxxed in an hour

EBG - it is worrying how little you know about a subject yet how forcefully you will argue your misinformed twaddle. Stop now lest you make yourself look very foolish (and not for the first time).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:19 
UltraMod

flis wrote:
The understanding I have of it, from the limited time I've spent trying to understand what's going on, is

mostly wrong, sadly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:20 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

ElephantBanjoGnome are you deliberately trolling here? Not far up the thread you state you have no idea about how this all started, was it something to do with a woman sleeping around? Now you know that "There are plenty of 'gamergaters' that are trying to uphold a perfectly legitimate view that in no way is associated with the constant accusations of misogyny. "

If your even vaguely interested in the start of this whole mess -a forbes article but it hits all the high points and save trawling through barrels of shit.

Regardless they are associated with a new 'movement' which have used vile and illegal methods to target people who disagree with their views, since this has been going on from day on of the Gamersgate saga then yes it is hard not to tar them all with the same brush, the whole group hide behind the shield of silence created by the vile actions of the few. They are complicit by not speaking out against these actions.

Many leading figure in the Muslim community are very vocal in denouncing the acts of extremists. Trying to link gamersgate to a ancient religion just seems pathetic to me, but keep on banging your drum if that makes you happy.

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:23 
Excellent Member

Incidentally - a person makes a post and gets 'doxxed' by an individual dickhead, and the outraged world is happy to condemn the whole movement. Is this so radically different from extremist muslims giving the rest of them a bad name? People go to great lengths to point out how an individual action that alleges support to a given ideology is NOT representative.

The court of public opinion is just so self-evidently hypocritical when applying its logic on who to righteously damn in these situations.

Not the same.

If you think ethics in gaming journalism needs a voice, find one you believe in. Go your separate ways. There are loads of political parties, mostly all wanting the same sort of thing and some are more extreme about their wants and how they go about it.

The majority of Muslims do not affiliate themselves with radical hate groups; if they were to, people would assume they believe in what ISIS stands for.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:27 
Legendary Boogeyman

American Nervoso wrote:
EBG - it is worrying how little you know about a subject yet how forcefully you will argue your misinformed twaddle. Stop now lest you make yourself look very foolish (and not for the first time).

Scrunch up concentration here, peon-brain, because this isn't very hard to understand. I'm talking about the aspersions and wide generalisations that are applied to opposing sides in a basic argument. The parties of these two sides could be anyone - gamergate vs. feminists. islam vs. the world - the actual subject doesn't matter here because I'm calling upon you to examine how trivially you determine the evil of the side you disagree with.

Slightly Green - this applies for you too. I know nothing about the motivations of individual games people. I know some of them allege legitimacy, and that's sufficient for the purposes of this comparative argument.

No need to ask who myp supports here, and yet has no perception of just how blindly and aggressive he is in that opinion. There is no examination, or concession, to the other motivations of the people who support the movement for reasons other than 'misogyny'. It's all evil, right from the start, there's no wiggle room, there's no justification. I'm right, you're wrong!!!11

And then tries to uphold that as the rationale argument and casting me, who isn't supporting either side specifically because I don't know enough about it, as the one spouting nonsense. It's quite the spectacle.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:29 
Excellent Member

Now I noticed that this stupid movement has the same name as Paradox online store. Talk about negative publicity....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:30 
Excellent Member

American Nervoso wrote:
flis wrote:
The understanding I have of it, from the limited time I've spent trying to understand what's going on, is

mostly wrong, sadly.

This is why I find it tiresome... Lots of comments like this but none expanding on what the issues are or how that understanding of it is mostly wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:34 
UltraMod

flis wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
flis wrote:

mostly wrong, sadly.

This is why I find it tiresome... Lots of comments like this but none expanding on what the issues are or how that understanding of it is mostly wrong.

Because it's too tiresome to explain to everyone who asks while you are busy fighting it. If you are really interested in what's going on then do some reading - there are hundreds of articles on the topic.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:36 
Sleepyhead

I think everyone accepts that there are a lot of misguided people who don't want to be active arseholes who are a part of GG. Fighting against corruption in the gaming industry is obviously a noble goal.

However, unwittingly or not, they are at best like the guy asking for money without the gun in the above cartoon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:40 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

gamergate vs. feminists

So it is only against feminists? I see it as not against feminism but against human decency, seriously regardless of your view point, death threats and much of the other vile behaviour is just plain wrong. The way you seem to be viewing it as a anti-feminist battle should maybe make you look more in the mirror at your own personal beliefs.

I honestly think both sides have valid points but that is lost in the backwash of crazy that overshadows the whole issue.

Quote:
#GamerGate isn’t about conspiracies. It isn’t about scandal and corruption. It isn’t about feminists or misogynists. It isn’t about any of these things, and it’s about all of them all at once.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:55 
Legendary Boogeyman

Slightly Green wrote:
So it is only against feminists?

I don't need to examine any beliefs here because I'm not coming in on one side or the other. My point is that it doesn't matter who the second side is - it could be anyone. I'm not actually talking about the specifics of this particular argument, as I've said more than once. Sheesh.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 13:05 

I still don't see why corruption in the games industry is such a big issue for normal punters that they are getting so riled up about it. It's that which leads me to tend towards agreeing with the view that it's likely a pretext for something else.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 13:23 

Vote GamerGate! To align yourself with glittering geniuses like this one:

Because women playing Candy Crush are committing "cultural appropriation."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 13:30 

markg wrote:
I still don't see why corruption in the games industry is such a big issue for normal punters that they are getting so riled up about it. It's that which leads me to tend towards agreeing with the view that it's likely a pretext for something else.

Well, we could compile a "history of games ethics scandals that didn't make everyone lose their shit"; it would include that time Your Sinclair had to buy tapes from shops because they didn't get review copies from (IIRC) Ocean; Doritosgate; the time Jeff Gerstmann was actually fired for giving Kane & Lynch 6/10, or Steve Hogarty's review of The Sims: Ikea expansion.

But no. All those moments passed, like tears in rain. And yet this time, the time that focused a woman game developer who hadn't actually done anything wrong and a woman game critic who also hasn't done anything wrong, this time seems to be the last straw for an army of people who have now been booted from 4chan for being too vile, if you could imagine such a thing. But I'm sure the misogyny angle is just a red herring.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 13:35 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
But no. All those moments passed, like tears in rain. And yet this time, the time that focused a woman game developer who hadn't actually done anything wrong and a woman game critic who also hasn't done anything wrong, this time seems to be the last straw for an army of people who have now been booted from 4chan for being too vile, if you could imagine such a thing. But I'm sure the misogyny angle is just a red herring.

Your also missing out on the questionable ethical stance taken in the last month with Warner Brothers and Shadow of Mordor

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... p-in-arms/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 13:39 

I liked Chris Kluwe's take:

Quote:
Thus, when I see an article titled “Gamers are dead,” referring to the death of the popular trope of a pasty young man in a dimly lit room, it fills me with joy, because it means WE FUCKING WON. So many people are playing games now that they are popular culture. They are not going away. All sorts of cool things, that I like, are now things that a whole bunch of other people like! There’s enough space now for people to make games that are strange and disturbing and maybe highlight a different perspective of the world, because gaming is no longer a niche activity, it’s something that everybody does. There is room for art in video games. That’s awesome!

You slopebrowed weaseldicks with zero reading comprehension and even less critical thinking skills who think an article claiming “Gamers are dead” is something bad? Fuck me sideways with a sandblaster.

It’s like all you can do is look at this collection of words, scratch yourself uneasily, and then run off to look for grubs. Your reaction (and I am not making this up, because it’s been widely documented literally everywhere) to various articles proclaiming the death of the basement-dwelling, cheetos-huffing, poopsock-sniffing douchepistol, because games are so good now that they are common entertainment and thus everyone plays them, was to COMPLETELY MISS THE POINT by either:

a) Making misogynistic threats against a wide variety of female game developers and critics because somehow they’re going to keep games you enjoy from ever being made again

or

b) Being stupid enough to get sucked in by people busy making misogynistic threats against a wide variety of female game developers and critics, and supporting their idiotic crusade for the dumbing down of everyone everywhere ever.

Every time I see one of you slackjawed pickletits link me something like “I’m a moderate #Gamergate’r,” or “#Gamergate in sixty seconds YOUTUBE CLIP,” or “Here’s an anecdotal story from this one woman we found that completely negates an entire history of misogyny and abuse of women, not just in videogaming but in the entirety of human existence so support the REAL GAMERS,” it pisses me the fuck off because you are ruining something I enjoy. When people — everyday people who watch the coverage on CNN of Anita Sarkeesian having to cancel a speaking engagement due to death threats — think of “gamers,” they are going to think of you, and that irritates me. It enrages me. I want to punch down a wall, and I like my walls. They’re nicely painted.

Quote:
In fact, #Gamergaters, if your concern really was ethics, the very first thing you would be saying about this whole mess is, “Holy shit, get these fucking misogynistic creeps away from us. Let’s find a different hashtag to assemble under RIGHT FUCKING NOW.” You’d be doing everything in your power to make sure the legitimate cause you’re concerned about wasn’t hijacked or used as a shield by those with no other agenda than to make women and minorities afraid, simply because they can. You wouldn’t defend the oppression of someone simply based on their gender (because let’s be real honest here, I haven’t seen a single #Gamergater go after Activision, or Ubisoft, or Rockstar), and you definitely wouldn’t concoct ever-more wild conspiracy theories to support your increasingly flawed view of reality.

(My personal favorite is that a combination of a secret cabal of power-mad journalists are working with the world-threatening feminist agenda in order to remove the purity of video games, because Obama and Jews. That’s a good look, people. Very convincing. I’m surprised you couldn’t work chemtrails in there somehow.)

His point about no 'gater going after big firms is well-made. During all of this, it emerged that YouTubers had traded access to review copies of Shadows of Mordor in return for a contract that said they couldn't say anything bad about it. Surely a bit of dodgy ethics the gamergate mob seized upon, right? Well, no. Barely a squeak. The bile and outrage is reserved exclusively for women and indie game makers. Why? Read Kluwe's rant.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 13:39 

zaphod79 wrote:
Your also missing out on the questionable ethical stance taken in the last month with Warner Brothers and Shadow of Mordor

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... p-in-arms/

Heh, you're right, I was (but just posted about it while you were writing that.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 13:41 

Incidentally, Kluwe wrote that two days ago. Nothing has happened, no-one has threatened to hurt him (might help that he's a 6'4" professional NFL player). Felicia Day wrote a very carefully worded piece where she said nothing bad about GamerGate other than that the whole thing upset her. Someone posted her home address in the comments of her own blog within the hour.

But it's not about women, right?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 13:48 
Legendary Boogeyman

I think you need to white knight harder, Gaywood, there are powerless, impotent women out there that rely on your snarky link-quoting on this forum for their ongoing self-esteem.

/s

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 13:55 
Excellent Member

white knight

You're off message there man, the new way of offering this kind of non-response is to call someone an 'SJW'.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 13:55 

I see Gnomes has posted something I fortunately cannot see. Working blind, I'm going to take a guess at: hmmm; https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 13:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Incidentally, Kluwe wrote that two days ago. Nothing has happened, no-one has threatened to hurt him (might help that he's a 6'4" professional NFL player). Felicia Day wrote a very carefully worded piece where she said nothing bad about GamerGate other than that the whole thing upset her. Someone posted her home address in the comments of her own blog within the hour.

But it's not about women, right?

How many times are we going to mention that?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 13:57 
UltraMod

Richard Yaywood!

SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I see Gnomes has posted something I fortunately cannot see. Working blind, I'm going to take a guess at: hmmm; https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem

Oh my, that's perfect.

Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I see Gnomes has posted something I fortunately cannot see.

There's a slight flaw in the super-ignore feature that I'm too weak to not exploit sometimes. I am my own worst enemy. :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 13:58 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I think you need to white knight harder

That's great. Because any attempt to suggest that rape and death threats are a bad thing is clearly 'white-knighting' and not just being 'not-a-cunt'.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 13:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

There's a slight flaw in the super-ignore feature that I'm too weak to not exploit sometimes. I am my own worst enemy. :(

O RLY?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 13:59 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Just out of curiosity, how do you super ignore someone?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 14:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

This page:
ucp.php?i=zebra&mode=foes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 14:01 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

O RLY?

When you're on the screen with the reply box (proper reply, not quick reply) the last however many posts of the thread are given below so you can review them and that view doesn't ignore your ignorees. I'm genuinely not mentioning it to moan about it or anything, just to acknowledge how much of a tit I am in sometimes looking at it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 14:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

CODE TIME

Reply to topic  [ 568 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next