Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 
 Post subject: NYC Baby!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:29 
Eggcellent Member

Hello Beteo posse,

Mrs The Egg and I are going to NYC for a short break; arriving next Friday and leaving on the following Monday.

Having never been, where should I go (or avoid) if I want to maximise sight seeing type stuffs? Has anyone been to a famous landmark only to find it wasn't quite worth the time/effort? There seems to be so much to see and so little time so I want to try and prioritise my time there wand still allow plenty of time for eating.

If it helps, I am absolutely positively not interested in art galleries so please don't fell you have to recommend them. I do like bright lights though! We're staying fairly central.

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: NYC Baby!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:45 
UltraMod

From my boss who's been to New York twice:

• Empire State Building (go to the top at night)
  • Statue of Liberty (but don't go up it as it's hellishly expensive; just soak it up on Liberty Island)
  • Times Square

Apparently the best thing to do is to get the bus tour from Time Square and just get off anywhere that takes your fancy (you can always get back on the next bus that comes along).

I know this because I've asked the same questions - New York is the final leg of our honeymoon next year. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:09 

myp's suggestions are good. There's little point in leaving Manhattan, you're not there for long enough to really see everything that Manhattan has to offer, let alone the rest.

Make sure you visit the former WTC site, it's bizarrely compelling and emotional.

Lots of shopping areas, and there's a fantastic aerospace museum on the east coast of Manhattan, set aboard an aircraft carrier.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:10 

GazChap wrote:
Make sure you visit the former WTC site, it's bizarrely compelling and emotional.

Personally I thought it was a hole.

Very plane.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:11 
Skillmeister

Do a Peaches Geldof.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:13 
UltraMod

NO MORE PUNS. I love them to bits, but that's why I created the puns thread. Don't ruin the boards for everyone else.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:29 
Excellent Member

I honestly found the rockerfeller building better to go up than the empire state building. far, far less queues, much more modern inside and you get a superb view of the empire state building, which you obviously dont get from the errrrrr empire state building!

Walking across the brooklyn bridge is good too, if the weathers not too hateful

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:35 
Excellent Painter

Do the Empire State, for a laugh.

Walk everywhere as the metro system can be a little confusing due to multiple trains running on the same lines - i.e. you can have express trains that only stop every half a dozen stations or so, which can make getitng around a bit messy. If you stay south of Central Park, Manhattan is actually only about 2.5 by 1.5 miles or thereabouts - and it's pretty much a toast rack configuration above the financial district - i.e. Avenues run North South and numbered roads bisect them East to West - it's piss easy to find your way around.
Go ice skating in Central PArk
Go have a look at the Chelsea Hotel - I actually stayed there when I was there last, but it is a bit of a dump, but very trendy - it's on 23rd and 8th Ave. There are some excellent resaurants on 8th Ave, but it's very gay around there - I made the mistake of walking into a Big Cup coffee house one morning with the worst hangover and almost got eaten alive ;)

Times Sq isn't a Sq as such and you'll almost certainly walk through it going, ooh pretty lights, but that's it.
Do 5th Ave/Broadway (Broadway IS 5th Avenue) to have a look at the lights.

The trendy bars are south of Houston (pronounced House Ton), hence the area being called SoHo. Bear in mind that New Yorkers go out and stay out late, so take some stims with you - basically most decent bars are quiet before 10pm, so eat about 8:30 - 9pm then go out after that - the bars don't really get going until about 11pm, but it's worth persevering as the night life is excellent and New Yorkers tend to be friendly if a little honest. Be polite to the bar staff and tip a buck or two on every drink and you should get every 4th or 5th free.

I'm not much for tourist stuff though, but if you enjoy shopping and chilling in bars you'll love NYC. Oh, yeah, go see Grand Central as well, that's a fantastic building.

There's a tangible energy about the place which will either float your boat or wear you out. It is very safe and clean, so don't worry about wandering around late at night or in the early hours - I regularly got back to my hotel at 5am by walking.

There is NO legroom in the back of those HUGE yellow cabs.

Enjoy it, it's a fantastic city

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:41 

myoptika wrote:
NO MORE PUNS. I love them to bits, but that's why I created the puns thread. Don't ruin the boards for everyone else.

Shame you don't love them to deaf really... you wouldn't have to hear them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dudley wrote:
myoptika wrote:

Shame you don't love them to deaf really... you wouldn't have to hear them.

I like the sound of that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 13:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

If you have any interest in military stuff, the USS Intrepidis well worth a visit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 13:48 

The Staten Island ferry is free and provides a good view of the city and Ms Liberty.

My friends recommend Ellis Island but there were large queue and I didn't have much time.

Also, if you like end of the pier fairground tack, take the trip to Coney Island.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 13:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I thought Ellis Island was quite dull. What hotel are you in? I went to the Hotel on Rivington and it was very nice.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 14:33 
Eggcellent Member

Just checking in between meetings, thanks for all of the info so far chaps

I'm not sure where we're staying - Mrs T. Egg booked it as a 30th B'day pressie.

Am ultra excited now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 17:38 
Honey Boo Boo

Second to the USS Intrepid... it's amazing. If you're not claustrophic, the USS Growler (missile sub next to it) is also a must-see.

The Tavern on the Green in Central Park is worth a visit for a nice meal.

And hell, go see a show!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 18:10 
making out to faces of death

Wear good shoes, because you'll be walking a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 18:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Head to Katz Diner, not because that's where Sally had the fake orgasm, but because their Philly Cheese-steak is awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 19:22 

You'll be eating loads anyway. Man, I love that place.

Oh, and if you're in the area and care for it, go to Grant's Tomb. Is it too much to have it turned into a bar? It's what the old drunkard would have wanted.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:56 
Excellent Member

I recently spent 12 months living 2 weeks in NY, 2 weeks in the UK.. so I managed to get to know the place quite well. Here's some tips for you

1) WTC Subway
I'd recommend (while you can do it) to take the WTC subway (PATH) to Hoboken in NJ for 2 reasons. The first is that the start of the journey, in the train, you actually go through the gaping hole that was the WTC. It really makes you see just how big it was. As they're building the replacement (and the subway track will be underground again) you won't see this forever. It's quite a moving experience. The second reason is that you get some great photos from Hoboken of the Manhattan skyline. The whole journey should take you about an hour.

2) Don't go up the Empire State Bulding
Huh? But it gives the greatest view of the city? WRONG!!! Go up Rockefeller Plaza which has much nicer views (and you can actually get the empire state building in the photo) and it's got much less queuing time. It also has a nice bar/restaurant at the top. When you're there, maybe go ice skating at the bottom of it (the famous Rockefeller Plaza ice skating rink). When you're short of time, there's nothing worse than standing for an hour to go up in a lift. Which you will with the Empire State Building.

3) Take the tourist bus trip around Harlem
There are two tourist bus routes- one covers the southern part of manhattan (which is great- I'd recommend it) but the one that goes around Harlam, the north of Central Park, Grant's Tomb etc is really good.

4) Drink lots in the bars. BUT NOT NEAR TIMES SQUARE
There are virtually no good bars/restaurants in the mid-town area. If you want some good bars- go to either Greenwich Village, the East Village or the Meat Packing District (although that is if you like the trendy bar/club type scene).

5) Spend as little time as possible NEAR TIMES SQUARE
I first visited NY in 96 and it's amazing how much Times Square has changed from then. It's basically shit now. They've turned it into Disneyland NYC and it's crammed full of tourists. Definitely go there to see it, but get out as soon as you can.

6) Go to a Broadway Show
Go to the TKTS booth near Times Square and see what last minute tickets they have (for a fraction of the price). There is nothing like going to see a show in NY.

But most of all- get a Rough Guide Book to NYC and read up on it beforehand. Also, go to timeout.com and look up bars/restaurants (and also see if there's anything else happening music/art wise). Two types of food I'd recommend for NY- sushi (as it's cheap compared to here) and Brazilian. You get some great "eat all you can" type Brazilian restaurants where they basically bring skewers of various types of meat to your table until you flip a little mat to NO MORE FOOD. Unless, of course, you are a vegetarian.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 15:26 
Eggcellent Member

Thanks chaps/chapettes all of the above is ace advice. We're now planning what we're going to do!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 20:54 
Engorged Member

Grim... wrote:
Head to Katz Diner, not because that's where Sally had the fake orgasm, but because their Philly Cheese-steak is awesome.

My parents second this EW.

Katz Diner was the first thing they told me about when they came back!!

Xbox 360 60Gb
Acer 5920G - Core2Duo T7300. Geforce 8600M. 4Gb RAM
Apple iPhone 3GS
Worcester Bosch 240RSF
Hotpoint WF541 (Graphite)
Beko ZA630 (Graphite)
Centurion CLN-155S
Sharp R209

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 21:51 
Excellent Member

Never been to NYC but Moora wins a cookie for excellent and interesting advice, there. :)

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:00 
Participant in dramatic games

GazChap wrote:
. There's little point in leaving Manhattan

no! No! please take a subway to brooklyn or the bornx and have some coffee there, to experience more new york

visit yankees stadium

real little italy on 182 i think? street (arthur ash boulervard)

go to the museum, the Met is amazing. And the library.

See some of old New Amsterdam

Go to a Rangers game (as the baseball season is off)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

moora wrote:
There is nothing like going to see a show in NY.

How does it differ from seeing a show in the West End (which doesn't differ, IMHO, from seeing a show at the Durngate in Northampton)?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Broadway has nowhere to eat, that's how it differs. I walked from the south edge of Manhatten Island up to Union Square trying to find somewhere for dinner, and there wasn't a single eatery.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Didn't you pay a tramp $20 or something to find you a shop selling cigarettes late one night?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:34 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
Didn't you pay a tramp $20 or something to find you a shop selling cigarettes late one night?

Yep. Trying to buy cigarettes in somewhere where they've been banned in bars for years (so no machines) is a right bastard. Especially in the financial district, which isn't particularly lively on a Sunday night.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

None of it is lively at night-time - "city that never sleeps" my arse. Finding anywhere that's open after 2am is a chore, and 3am nearly fucking impossible.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 13:26 
making out to faces of death

Craster wrote:
Broadway has nowhere to eat, that's how it differs. I walked from the south edge of Manhatten Island up to Union Square trying to find somewhere for dinner, and there wasn't a single eatery.

That's a good point. Anywhere north of around 43rd street to Central Park, between 5th avenue and Broadway, and good luck finding somewhere to get lunch that isn't a McDonalds. We did walk all the way down to get a slice of Famous Joe's Pizza though, which was pretty nice.
The Skylight diner at 402 West 34th Street (9th av) was really nice, and they're open 24/7 so if you're around that area you won't be short of something to eat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 15:41 

Grim... wrote:
None of it is lively at night-time - "city that never sleeps" my arse. Finding anywhere that's open after 2am is a chore, and 3am nearly fucking impossible.

Last time I was in New York I was in bars until about 5am, then went for breakfast. You just weren't looking hard enough. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 15:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

If me, all the hotel staff and numerous taxi drivers didn't have a clue then that counts as 'none' in my head.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 15:43 

Grim... wrote:
If me, all the hotel staff and numerous taxi drivers didn't have a clue then that counts as 'none' in my head.
More taxi driver problems, eh? Have you considered it's a conspiracy? The New Yoik taxi drivers dropped you to your hotel at 10:30, muttering "so sorry, New York is closed" then went to the best party you've never been to until 6am with all the taxi drivers from Nottingham.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 15:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

This could be true.
To the, um...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 17:14 
Eggcellent Member

Cheers again, all of your advice has been ace however;

Craster wrote:
Trying to buy cigarettes in somewhere where they've been banned in bars for years (so no machines) is a right bastard. Especially in the financial district, which isn't particularly lively on a Sunday night.

:this: is one of the most important travel tips I have ever had.

I am lucky enough to have bought dollars whilst the pound is at its weakest for 7 years! ($1.48 yesterday) This pleases me no end - especially as we are off to buy a blingin' diamond for Mrs The Egg. Ah well!

I'm so excited I think I am going to be sick.

Finish up surveying these 'ere quantities, haircut, home, chillax then jump in the EggWagon at 3am and head to Heathrow. Sleep on the plane and land in the Big Apple!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 17:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Have a great time. New York is an incredible city.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 17:32 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
New York is an inedible city.

How I parsed that.

It's a nice city, yes, but I couldn't manage a whole one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 17:46 

You'll love it. Have a fantastic time!

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]