Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 901 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Football 2011/2012
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 22:42 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Shame about that, bloody good effort from the Arse boys.

I wonder if Spurs are getting a touch nervous after the weekend and the resurgance of the Arse?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 23:21 

Morte wrote:
Shame about that, bloody good effort from the Arse boys.

Yeah, a good win on the night and makes it a more respectable score overall.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:00 
Isn't that lovely?

If they had an away goal!

During the first half I was sure they were going to win 5-1, with Milan scoring in the 90th minute or something.

Malc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:37 
Sleepyhead

Typically I only watched the last 35 minutes, by which time Milan were considerably more threatening than the Arse.

Shame, but there was just nobody even vaguely competent on the bench to come on. Seriously, I'd not even take them at Villa, and we're shit!

Still, an excellent effort.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:23 
Gogmagog

Meanwhile, Wednesday won 4-1 against Bury. I think automatic promotion now rests as much on the Blades losing games as the Owls winning them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 16:15 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
Meanwhile, Wednesday won 4-1 against Bury. I think automatic promotion now rests as much on the Blades losing games as the Owls winning them.

Cherries v Owls at the weekend. We've lost four in a row!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 17:29 

gospvg wrote:
To go back a few days so I an gloat

You can't gloat about beating Cardiff by dint of spooning fewer penalties than they did, man.... come on!

I literally fell off my sofa after the second Liverpool miss. Fucking brilliant, I'm a Forest supporter and don't have many reasons to be happy about football at the moment, but that was a great afternoon.

Cardiff will never win a cup or get promoted though, they've not got the karma for it, the dodgy fuckers.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 13:34 
Worst

We probably all know that Fabrice Muamba, whose family fled pretty certain death in the former Zaire, collapsed mid-match yesterday. He'd been at Arsenal and Birmingham before setting at Bolton. His status is said to remain critical, and this is the kind of event that unites all football fans in shock and hope he'll make a full recovery.

Some people, though, are just dickheads.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 13:38 
Skillmeister

Also this.

Post subject: Re: Re: Football 2011/2012
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 13:43 
Excellent Member

throughsilver wrote:
We probably all know that Fabrice Muamba, whose family fled pretty certain death in the former Zaire, collapsed mid-match yesterday. He'd been at Arsenal and Birmingham before setting at Bolton. His status is said to remain critical, and this is the kind of event that unites all football fans in shock and hope he'll make a full recovery.

Some people, though, are just dickheads.

I'd never heard of the man until yesterday but I really hope he pulls through. And that guy on twitter is a hateful man. It's really sad that there are actual people like him in existence. :-(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 13:47 
Worst

Dimrill wrote:
Also this.

They seem to have taken themselves off twitter. I bet those dirty racists got roasted.

Sadly, the Texan Nascar loving 'NObama'-declaring scumbag remains.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 13:52 
Skillmeister

I contacted Stacey's University and rugby club over twitter. No word yet from his Uni, but his rugby club have launched an investigation.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 14:30 
Excellent Member

Isn't it amazing how accounts that hit the public eye turn out to be the victims of hacking?

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 14:50 
Skillmeister

Liam Stacey has been arrested. https://twitter.com/#!/swpnorth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 16:11 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I saw that the actor who played Phil Gilbert in the Inbetweeners (Don't know his real name) outed some idiots on Twitter last night. Some real horrible people on there.

What's wrong with them? I don't get it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 17:04 

You don't get it because you aren't living amongst people who would admire you for doing it. They are. Twitter gives their words more reach though. You don't exist in the pubs and workplaces and estates where talking like this about people is considered normal.

When these people are challenged they first laugh, then they become recalcitrant, then they engage in ad-hominem 'defence' of their actions, searching for other examples of similar behaviour that they can associate their accusers with. Then they try and blame hacking, then they run away.

The one thing they can't do is look at their own behaviour critically. They haven't ever learned how to do that. We've got two cures for this. One is never letting Tories be in power, the other is our criminal justice system.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 17:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GovernmentYard wrote:
Then they try and blame hacking, then they run away.

Tricky to pull off the old "Someone in this pub has hacked my brain" defence.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 20:01 
Sleepyhead

throughsilver wrote:
Dimrill wrote:
Also this.

They seem to have taken themselves off twitter. I bet those dirty racists got roasted.

Sadly, the Texan Nascar loving 'NObama'-declaring scumbag remains.

Surely that's a parody account.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:54 
Excellent Member

Thoughts are going out to Muamba and those around him. I only play Sunday League but I've seen two people collapse myself whilst playing and it's an unbearable experience. I hope for better news on his condition as the days pass.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 15:53 
Hello Hello Hello

Quote:
I'm not racist and some of my friends are from different cultural backgrounds

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... oll-prison

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 16:08 
Gogmagog

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Quote:
I'm not racist and some of my friends are from different cultural backgrounds

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... oll-prison

And, at lunchtime on Radio 4, they were talking about employers checking social networking sites. This could cost him more than a brief spell in the slammer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 16:14 
Hello Hello Hello

MaliA wrote:
And, at lunchtime on Radio 4, they were talking about employers checking social networking sites. This could cost him more than a brief spell in the slammer.

I know, how ASTOUNDINGLY fucking dumb would you have to be to put stuff like that on the web with your real name against it in this day and age?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 20:46 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I don't think him being dumb was ever in question.

But on a slightly more positive note: Muamba is moving his arms and legs and his heart is "beating okay".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... mprovement

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 20:58 
Skillmeister

Stacey wrote:
I said something about Muamba that I shouldn't have and tweeted back to some people who abused me.

You horrible little shit.You're the one that was getting abused? Just... gragh fucking hell I'm angry.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 21:22 
Excellent Member

Standard defence. After Allison Pearson wrote somethingvile about some bloke who wanted the right to die, Doug Stanhope pulled her up on it and Pearson started playing the "woe is me, I'm the victim of the nasty bully" card.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 22:59 

Dimrill wrote:
Stacey wrote:
I said something about Muamba that I shouldn't have and tweeted back to some people who abused me.

You horrible little shit.You're the one that was getting abused? Just... gragh fucking hell I'm angry.

This is what I mean... people have been raised to understand that they are beautiful and unique flowers who can do no wrong and for whom the sky is the limit. Faced with a reality that proves this conceit wrong, they actively seek reasons for the situation that transfer responsibility for negativity around their name onto someone else. It's perfectly natural. If they didn't do this, they'd have to completely reassess their entire lives and I think if most of them had a good look back at themselves it would be a far harder thing to cope with than many would be able to.

Have a good think about the number of people you know who can't simply go "yeah I was wrong" or "I fucked that up good and proper" or "I really haven't a clue about this"*

Quite scary, isn't it?

* not including those who are too lazy to learn, that's another thread altogether.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 23:16 
Hello Hello Hello

GovernmentYard wrote:
Have a good think about the number of people you know who can't simply go "yeah I was wrong" or "I fucked that up good and proper" or "I really haven't a clue about this"*

Isn't that just a basic human characteristic though? (Unless I'm one of the psychos and thus I think it is a basic human characteristic when it's really not.......)

Surely no one likes being a clueless cunt, and unconsciously or otherwise we basically therefore build up a tolerance/defence/justification for what we do or don't do and think or don't think.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 0:21 

To clarify, I'm speaking around the self-awareness of that. We'll all have an ad-hominem row at some point, mainly because half the stuff I shouldn't have done in my life has been done in the aftermath of someone else doing the same or not living up to my reasonable expectations of them.

I know that though, can admit it and try to avoid doing it. Same with most people, but to generalise there's a cultural, generational shift which leads a broad section of today's youth to share this inability with older members of socially deprived communities. People learning how to behave from Eastenders. Who have been allowed to treat their teachers like shite and whose parents (in reality just offspring-fetishists) tell them that they're special. No-one's special, even if we are all important.

I've had way more than I can cope with of clients and people in my football fandom community and elsewhere who literally cannot give credence to anyone else's view of them. I suppose because I'm the opposite way round (my subconscious is crippled by what other people think, which is no use at all) I get more annoyed by it than most and notice it more acutely.

I dunno, but there's a very important life skill there that altogether too many people haven't got. There's a time and a place for everything and it's called 4Chan. These lot on Twitter and such need to learn and that'll only happen with the book hitting some of them so hard the others take notice, because they aren't listening to reason - they weren't ever taught how.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:06 
Excellent Member

GovernmentYard wrote:
I know that though, can admit it and try to avoid doing it. Same with most people, but to generalise there's a cultural, generational shift which leads a broad section of today's youth to share this inability with older members of socially deprived communities.

Rubbish. Because, if anything, it is the older generation that has and is fucking things up. You want hate and bigotry polluting the airwaves and internet? Open a copy of the Daily Mail and read middle-aged columnists. You want absolving responsibility - how about flying to America to avoid discussions about the NHS, or dragging Shirley Williams in as a human shield for your own cowardice. You want selfishness? How about using that same NHS to treat your critically ill son, that free University education and then taking it away from the current kids.

Oh, and lumping them with unpayable debt for your own failure at being a decent member of society.

The older generation of football fans are the ones in the 80s - yeah, super happy fun times back then, eh? We've marketed at them from the cradle, sold them cartoons with associated merchandised, manufactured popstars, told them they have to buy to be popular and then wonder why they turned out to be perfect self-centered consumers.

Kids these days, eh? Thoughtless, feckless, self-centred. They have learned well.

Old people. I wish them all dead.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:26 

But the oldies of which you speak were at it when I was a youngster. The difference now is that we're online and exposed to one hell of a lot more media. The older folk you (and I) deplore are not doing anything differently, it's just dissemminated more easily now. So is the good stuff though, and it makes me wonder why things are looking to pan out as they are.

/edit Football:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:07 

Didn't your team win 7 frigging 3?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:35 
Excellent Member

Lets take a moment and think about how Leeds United Football Club, their fans, their chairman Mr Kenneth Bates and their manager, Mr Neil Warnock are feeling this morning.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:36 
Gogmagog

Plissken wrote:
Lets take a moment and think about how Leeds United Football Club, their fans, their chairman Mr Kenneth Bates and their manager, Mr Neil Warnock are feeling this morning.

<checks scores>

A-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:03 
Unpossible!

Boo Hoo, poor Leeds. I hope they lose every game they ever play. ESPECIALLY with Neil Warnock in charge.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:45 
Gogmagog

Wednesday fighting for automatic promotion, end of season is going to be quite exciting, I think. I'd trade beating United in a play off final for automatic promotion, and United lsoing in the final.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 20:20 

Messi's scoring record at Barcelona! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 21:09 

MaliA wrote:
Plissken wrote:

<checks scores>

A-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The only downside is the smile we've put on Simon Grayson's face.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 21:53 
UltraMod

I'm conflicted; I hate Leeds, but love Colin.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 22:44 

I'm conflicted, I hate Leeds and I hate Forest.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 22:54 
Sleepyhead

Arsenal up into third! Incredible season revival!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 23:16 

And what about them 'oops?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 23:38 
Time Out for Fun

I love Liverpool at the minute. So inept they're keeping Newcastle 5 points ahead of them in 6th despite playing shite for the past 6 or 7 games. Keep it up Daglish.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 0:18 

Bobbyaro wrote:
I'm conflicted, I hate Leeds and I hate Forest.

But we love you...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 15:37 
Worst

It's a good thing I'm a Juventus fan.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
:'(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 17:59 
Unpossible!

We love *you*. Your football team can take a flying leap :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 18:07 
Worst

Oh, the team can. Please god let them take a flying leap.

The club, though... I love the club. I mean, Barca are my boys, and so are Juve (even if most of them are unfortunately fascists). But you're all on the smacking list, is what I'm trying to say. :kiss:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 20:23 
Sleepyhead

Boom! Peter Crouch gets the goal of the season right there!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 20:29 

Were you watching Guedioura on Tuesday vs. Leeds? Or McCleary's second?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17349285

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 21:27 
Curiosity wrote:

Fucking hell you're right!

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/f ... 4575062.ab

Clip of it!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 21:45 
Unpossible!

nickachu wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Fucking hell you're right!

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/f ... 4575062.ab

Clip of it!

*slow clap*

Reply to topic  [ 901 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next